Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need stamps?

Thanks

If Ellen's message is clear, summarize it for me. All I could find in those links were positive recognition for the work she has done for animal welfare. Sure, I might not appreciate what she did with the one dog and giving it to her hairdresser, but seriously, what is the problem? What tinfoil hat theory are you talking about here? You want some sort of list of what shelter gets what meal? Seriously? What "agenda" are you referring to? Is it a plot to make our dogs lesbians?????Otto and Buddy are already pretty gay....I guess if I start feeding the girls Halo, Dolly and Daisy May are going to start getting it on.

Thanks

Lord knows Cosco is already about as gay as it gets so I'm not so worried. I think Ellen is great and like someone else said, I gotta have stamps anyway so I may as well get some that there is a chance will help some dogs.
    Alot of people have problems with HSUS because they feel that they mislead people with their advertisements and confuse the national HSUS with local organizations. Apparently there have been alot of people who have donated to the national organization thinking that it was the parent/umbrella/what-have-you group of local Humane Societies. Personally I think that just means they dont pay attention but some people think that HSUS specifically preys on people that don't know better for their donations.
    HSUS is viewed by some the way others/the same people view PETA or Greenpeace, as a radical organization with an extreme liberal/weirdo view. Some have suggested that HSUS has a secret agenda to end the existence of companion animals altogether and that they believe no animals should be domesticated.
    Generally the problem is that HSUS uses lots of cute puppies and kitties in their advertisements which leads people to believe that when they send money to HSUS most or all of that money will be helping aforementioned cute puppies and kitties in shelters. Some say (I have not looked at the numbers myself) that most of their money does not go to shelter animals but rather to more advertising, lobbying, etc and for other animals like wild animals or farm animals.
    Generally factory farming people dislike HSUS for business reasons, they feel that HSUS is advocating a strictly vegan/vegetarian/leather-fur free lifestyle like PETA.
    I like dogs, but I'm ok with advocating rights for other animals as well, so I'm ok with HSUS. Perhaps they don't spend their money in the best ways possible, but every bit helps right? The only thing that really worries me is
    This is what I know about this argument, hope it helps anyone that is trying to decide what to think.
    Heres the site of one anti-HSUS group so you can hear their side of the story
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Thanks. That's much clearer than all of that other stuff. I do understand that HSUS is not my local humane society and doesn't get much of my money, but I also know from working at SNAP that they do work with smaller local charities to do some good stuff so I don't think they're totally evil.

I'll still buy the stamps and hope that some of the money they I would have just given to the post office will find it's way to help some animals. Everyone has an agenda. Doesn't mean I have to let it bother me. :D
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue