Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaxLady View Post
    I hope you don't mine that I did a quick chart reading on Jack. Have they mentioned possible surgery? If so, the planets indicate that you should wait on that. Also, you might be better off using the same treatment as before, but it might take longer this time to see results. Sending lots of healing for precious Jack.
    Candy
    Oh, no. I don't mind at all! Surgery wasn't mentioned, but I've thought about it, since there seems to be this recurring issue with the same area of his back. I feel pretty sure if my vet felt it would help, she'd recommend it -- and she doesn't do back surgeries, so it wouldn't be beneficial to her if she did it. Of course, if he doesn't have surgery, it would benefit her to continue treating him as she did before. But I trust her. He did move his back toes a bit today, and I saw him try to support himself a little on his back legs this morning, so that is progress! I just wish he'd sleep longer than 4 hours at a time. He is used to sleeping with us, but I'm afraid to do that because I don't want him rolled on and making things worse, so he doesn't stay happy in his crate very long at night. I got up at 2:30 this morning and finally put him on the couch next to me and more or less slept for a few hours, waking up often to be sure he was comfortable and I wasn't hurting him. He so loves to be touching me, all the time! It's not enough for the crate to be close or me to have my fingers inside - I've tried that. Ugh. I feel so sorry for the little guy, but it's hard to do my best in caring for him when I'm exhausted myself. But we'll get through it. Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm hoping that tomorrow's treatment(s) will make a big improvement for us. I need to go to the chiro myself tomorrow; my back is killing me from the couch. We did the catheterization last night, which was pretty easy -- the hard part was keeping my S.O. from fainting while he was holding him still. My S.O. is a huge wuss!!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

:hugs1: I understand just what you're going thru. When Bogart had back problems, I didn't get more than 5 hours sleep at a stretch for months. It was so hard to get up and go to work and try to care for him on so little sleep. I used to go home for lunch and sleep to try to keep going. Have you tried raising the crate up so he can see you? Some people have had good luck with that.

Sending more for Jack
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

:hearts::hearts::hearts:
    Spay & Neuter makes 'em cuter
    http://www.straydog.org/ "All stray dogs to lucky dogs...NOW!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Tons of for Jack, Suzanne. I SO hear you about the sleep thing. Between Alex and Wendal, it's been years since I had more than 5 hours sleep in a row, and I feel your pain. What I ended up doing many years ago when my first dachsie Maxe went down, was make up a bed on the floor to sleep with her. That kept her calm enough to keep her out of the crate at night. Of course, I was 25 years younger then and sleeping on the floor wasn't an issue!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Many for you and Jack.
    I had Laika's crate up on a wheeled cart so she could be right by my bed at night and in whatever room I was hanging out it. A lot of dodger's list people use a stroller...although I think even post-op Laika would escape from a stroller..don't know about Jack.
    Having him on the bed or couch is kinda dicey...the potential for an accident is there, also uneven or squishy surfaces aren't as supportive for his back, which needs to be kept as immobile as possible, to let that disc heal over.
    I also thought the back shouldn't be manipulated this early into his recovery...but if you had good results before....
    When he recovers, you might want to look into the Laser Disc Ablation. They do it in Texas, Oklahoma and Illinois now I believe but I don't remember where. But since he's had multiple issues maybe it would be a good thing.
    It's a preventative treatment that zaps the aging discs so they can't rupture. pricey, but not as expensive as surgery and not invasive although they do need to shave the dog. A few people on dodgers list have had it done and you could get more info there....
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

For most dogs, you'd probably have to zip the top up on the stroller. Bogart was happy in the stroller and I didn't have to use the top often, but if it was Cash or Miller that wouldn't work at all.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Sending Jack a gazillion and some for an awesome mommy...... Please keep us posted......
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly

Thanks

Well, he was worse today when we first went in, but after acupuncture, he began to show more deep pain and tried to hold himself up. I was told if he doesn't try to walk tomorrow, he'll need surgery ASAP, so I'm trying to set that up now. That means renting a car and driving him to Austin, because that's the place where all CTDR dogs have their surgery, she does a WONDERFUL job, and she gives a rescue discount - so that's my plan. I'm praying he'll try to walk tomorrow, but if not, off we go to Austin, and I'm hoping to hear back from the vet's office soon. More prayers, please!!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

That he's up and walking. Sending more and :pray: :pray: :pray:

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

:hearts::hearts::hearts:
    Spay & Neuter makes 'em cuter
    http://www.straydog.org/ "All stray dogs to lucky dogs...NOW!"