Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental Question

Thanks

Default Dental Question

Yesterday after the extraction and this morning, the gums around where the tooth was looked great. There was a closed area there, looked fine.

He just ate, and for my own sanity, I was going to wash the area of extraction with a syringe of water (just to prevent buildup of the soft tripe he's eating) and there's a hole there!

The edges look good, and I understand that there's going to be a socket where the tooth was....but this scares me. Is it going to close up? Is it going to turn into a fistula? Its not up on the gums, its right exactly where the tooth was. The gums could have been swollen yesterday and this morning, right? Now its the socket I'm seeing?

He's on an anti-biotic for 7 days, twice a day - should I wait it out and see if it closes or should I take him in again?
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

Well... how very coincidental that something unexpected comes up on a dog and it's FRIDAY . Are they in tomorrow so you could call and ask? I'd suspect it is probably just the socket, but not sure if they put in a stitch or two that popped out. In my experience, vets often don't prepare you for what you're supposed to see/expect/not see/not expect .

It's not going to turn into a fistula before Monday, however. I am pretty confident of that.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

They do have hours tomorrow. I think I'll take him by for them to look at it - I'm just scared to receive bad news.

The vet didn't use any stitches for the extraction. So I guess my question now is, do fistulas open up after the fact or should the vet have seen it?

Thanks

From what I've read (we thought Cassie had one, but she didn't), the vet should have checked and been able to tell.
    Kim & the Girls

Thanks

Well, good old google reminded me that there is going to be a socket, there should be a blood clot there closing it up. Soo...if I can't get him in tomorrow just to ease my fears, I'm going to watch it.

Google mentioned dry socket issues but for people. Can dogs get dry socket too?

Sorry for all the questions - we've just never done this before!

Thanks

I don't know about dry socket since she didn't have any teeth extracted. I have a couple of articles about fistulae, but after reading over them, they're basically from the standpoint of dogs with sneezing, so I don't think they will help.
    Kim & the Girls

Thanks

Don't know if its the same with dogs as it is with us but when I had a wisdom tooth out a couple of months ago, a few hours after the extraction, a blood clot formed there which is normal. I was not suppose to eat but of course I did and after I ate it was gone. I had a hole there. Didn't form another clot but it healed just fine. Last year when I had the other wisdom tooth out, I sucked on the area (which they say not to do)of the extraction and out came the blood clot as well...another hole. Healed just fine as well. I don't know if its the same thing with dogs, but it sure sounds like it.

Thanks

Otto had fistulas, but only because his canine teeth were too big for is noggin, and had rotted right up into his sinuses and into his brain (ok, not really into his brain, but he's been a pain tonight with his whining to get out of the crate to pee a thimble full of urine...he never used to do that, he'd hold it but he knows I'll jump when he mumbles) Sorry, back to the topic: The holes have to be right into the bone, and usually when the tooth is removed, it's halfway to healing already. I've NEVER had a minor hole have a problem. Scooter, Dolly, and Cassie have had dozens of teeth removed. Scooter actually has had a dozen teeth removed alone. No fistulas.

Thanks

Thanks! I called Rena and she thinks its normal. She said to watch it for as long as the antibiotics hold out, and then if it gets suspicious to call them. I knew there was going to be a hole, I mean the tooth had to go somewhere! I get a little jumpy about Bailey, he's my heart dog. :hearts:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Thanks! I called Rena and she thinks its normal. She said to watch it for as long as the antibiotics hold out, and then if it gets suspicious to call them. I knew there was going to be a hole, I mean the tooth had to go somewhere! I get a little jumpy about Bailey, he's my heart dog. :hearts:
    Of course you get worried about Bailey. I mean, he's BAILEY
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue