Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Can anyone explain?

My mom comes over every weekday to watch Ari. She arrives at the same time every morning.

And every morning, Rigby comes down barking her head off, sees who it is, and continues to bark for ten minutes or so. She likes my mom, recognizes my mom, and is used to this routine (it's been almost three years.)

Why does she have to bark once she realizes who it is and that there's no threat? Sometimes she does this to me when I come home from work. I don't get it.

Dog whisperers, please explain. I wouldn't care, except that she wakes Ari up so many mornings and when I have a new baby in the house, I would love it if she didn't get woken up by a crazy dog, too.
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

She's excited.

Thanks

It's aggressive sounding, though. It's not like Butters, who wiggles, wags his tail, cries happy cries and looks ridiculously adorable. It's staring at you BARK BARK BARK.

She needs to learn to communicate better if that is the case.

Thanks

Have your mom bring a high value treat (small hot dog slices) with her. When Rigby is in front of her, have her give her the treat. See if that works. It will distract Rigby and she may forget to start barking again - or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I have no idea, but Scooter does the same thing. If I go downstairs before the DH and Scooter comes with me, he has to jump up barking when the DH comes into the room
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I think you already said it, because its her routine. The only way to change the behavior is to change the routine.

Thanks

Mika does the exact same thing when someone she knows comes in the door. I think its because she is excited and happy to see the person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatresia View Post
    It's aggressive sounding, though. It's not like Butters, who wiggles, wags his tail, cries happy cries and looks ridiculously adorable. It's staring at you BARK BARK BARK.

She needs to learn to communicate better if that is the case.
    It's RIGBY. Everything she does is intense and over the top.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom View Post
    It's RIGBY. Everything she does is intense and over the top.
    yes, true. She's such a psycho. She's the biggest reason people should rescue. I got her as a puppy, raised her exactly the same way as Butters and she's still insane. If I'd rescued a dog with a personality already, I would have known what I was getting into. I swear I will never get a puppy (unless it's a rescued puppy) again after her. Not that I'd ever get rid of her- she is so cute and sweet- but man is she annoying and a ton of work.

Thanks

It's her routine now. and she prob. just loves to bark like that. Laika often does that...it's like she is saying this is MY HOUSE (and, unfortunately MY agility ring, MY park, MY bike path. sigh)
    I'd be wary of using treats when she does this unless your mom has good timing cuz ultimately it will become a reward for barking. She COULD be rewarded when she is quiet but although that might shorten the barkfest, prob. won't stop it. It would take a serious effort to break the habit and a busy morning is prob. not the best time for you to do it
    When Rob comes here my dogs bark like fiends and they KNOW it's him and they are excited but it sounds like a pack of killer dogs. I make them sit and be quiet before he opens the door (treats) but it's really difficult to get them to stop. I prob. COULD do it but not that dedicated. I will say that yelling at them to shut up does no good whatsofreaking ever though.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue