Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Why is James acting like a moody teenager?!?

James Jeffrey is being a royal pain in the butt...and he's reverting to the nasty moody bitey dog that arrived 2 years ago.

He's never been thrilled with getting his ears cleaned or his feet sorted, but I had convinced him that he really needed to use his brain before his mouth. However, in the last fews days he's been moody...I can think of no other way to explain it than like a teenager in a mood. I can't find anything wrong with him that I can see and Laura went over him fairly thoroughly in the last couple of weeks, so what's up????

Last night when I was sleeping I must have clocked him with my wrist brace (I wear it at night for carpal tunnel). He leapt up snarling and snapping...scared the poop out of me cuz I was asleep. I put it down to a startle response, and went back to sleep. But this morning I was cleaning his ears (which he's become pretty good about as long as I take it slowly and give him lots of cuddles while doing it) and he kept snapping at me. (I think I'm dealing with an outbreak of ear mites among all three of them...which I find kinda embarrassing to admit...I look after my dogs, really I do!!!!!) Then this afternoon, he came in from outside and had stepped in some poop, so I went to clean off his foot and again, he kept snapping at me and wouldn't let me finish the job. I really let him have it, scruffed him, and have been ignoring him since then (NILIF in full force here). But I don't think that's the right way to go about this...it was a total running out of patience thing on my part.

I have NO idea what's up...nothing has changed that I can see. But I can't let him get away with this...he can be a nasty little bugger when he puts his mind to it, and I don't want it to escalate. Thoughts or ideas, anyone??

Forgot to mention that he has begun to obsessively lick the floor for no apparent reason too...don't know if that's connected or not.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Pixel licks the floor obsessively, so I don't know if it connected. Maybe James just needs to do some one on one training with you. I know he is not a young whipper snapper, but he is such a smart boy, he might need to exercise his brain a bit more?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Miller obsessively licks the floor and now Cash is starting to lick the drips when I get out of the shower. I'm hoping he doesn't start to obsessively lick the floor, too I have no idea if it could be related to the snapping.

Mine have been unusually snarky to each other lately. Both Cash and Miller have gotten kicked off the couch for it. I have no idea why that's going on. Maybe it's some weird time of year. Cash and Miller have also switched crates. They've been in each other's crates when I go in to give them treats at night sometimes
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Do you remember what I posted a couple of weeks ago about the full moon and animals? In addition to the accidents that have happened, it appears that the temperment of them might have been affected as well. Effective until November 21st.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaxLady View Post
    Do you remember what I posted a couple of weeks ago about the full moon and animals? In addition to the accidents that have happened, it appears that the temperment of them might have been affected as well. Effective until November 21st.
    I'm glad you chimed in with that, Candy. My dogs have been totally strange lately and I had no idea why.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaxLady View Post
    Geez!! Apparently the Cosmic Is hates us, cuz it's ALL been directed at my house, it seems .

James was very sooky last night, after I got mad at him. He spent all last night cuddled up to me. He's just too smart for his own good. I also spent some one-on-one time with him and his ball yesterday afternoon. But then Jules had an IBD attack, and everyone was just plain out of sorts. Roll on the 21st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

Oddly, mine have been acting so angelic, you can almost see the halos over their heads. Do I believe that? Oh no, no, no, no. Mom wonders what they are up to.

Thanks

Cassie obsessively licks the kitchen floor and Angel obsessively licks the living room rug. My whole house has been licked to death .
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel