Thanks

Default IVDD sling (scarf, tensor bandage) support pictures

This is how we understood providing sling support should be. If you have pictures to add, comments (even criticism, please post! This is how we learn).

Our understanding is a dog on 100% crate rest, needs support from the front and back ends. The front end a harness or collar (never a collar if it is a neck injury) is used to slow the dog down and prevent them from going more than a few steps. The back sling is to provide support to the back legs that are suffering from weakness or paralysis from the disc putting pressure on the spinal cord. You must support the back end at all times during the healing period. One bad slip can send you backwards in healing. Bear in mind this is for a male dachshund. Anatomically you will need to adjust where the sling is for a female.

Two points:
    1) Never "wheelbarrow" the dog. You do not want to use the sling to lift the back legs up.
    - The back should be completely flat.
    - You are slinging for support!

2) As the dog gets stronger you can loosen the sling a bit, but you always want it under the dog for support.
    - If they lose balance it is your job to make sure they don't fall.

If anyone else has any pictures of your dog using a sling while recovering, please post them.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I have pictures of Gunner with his sling, and I will try to find and post them...I think they may be in with the post of him going down, but I will check...we got the sling the hospital gave us, which ran about 30 dollars but they come cheaper on-line...
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

1- I think it looks great.
    2- He is ADORABLE.
    3- I LOVE your floors
    4- I am jealous of how clean underneath your stove is!!

Thanks

Are there any pictures on how to hold a dog properly when the back is healing. Like to them them out to potty, how are you suppose to take them out of the crate and lift them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
    Are there any pictures on how to hold a dog properly when the back is healing. Like to them them out to potty, how are you suppose to take them out of the crate and lift them?
    Dodgerslist made a great video on how to properly lift and carry a doxie http://www.youtube.com/v/eoLUb-e286c

They also recommend converting the wire crate to open from the top. Somewhere there are instructions on that, i'll see if I can find them.
    ~Carolyn ~

Thanks

Found it. http://www.dodgerslist.com/literatur...topconvert.pdf

If your doxie is on crate rest, it is supposed to be safer to lift them through the top rather than the side of the crate. Be sure to support both ends of the dog while lifting and keep the spine horizontal.
    ~Carolyn ~