Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Why do dogs eat grass, and keeping grass weed-free

I'm worried because Juney and Trixie eat grass, so I'm reluctant to let anyone spray for weeds in my yard. My problem is that the weeds are rampant right now. I just talked to someone about doing my yard and he said that the reason dogs eat grass is because they need potassium and his vet told him to put his dog on either Eukanuba or Life Science. He said his dog does not eat grass anymore.

Can anyone advise me? I really need to get rid of the weeds.
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Might find your answer here. Keep scrolling down as you go, lots of info. http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/1/why-do-dogs-eat-grass/

Thanks

Kind of reminds me trying to grow some fall greens this past fall. As soon as they sprouted in their containers, Minny and Bella thought it was a buffet. They munched away on my turnip greens, broccoli, and cauliflower.
    Keeper of the Hogwarts Crew,
    Dumbledore , Draco, Bellatrix (Bella), and Minerva (Minny)

Thanks

3 of mine eat grass. My little stoner, Mitch, doesn't. They are particular about the grass they want to eat. I call it Crab Grass. It is wide leafed and coarse when it is mature, but when it first pokes through the ground in the spring it must be sweet or smell like meat because Low-la, Pepper:hearts: and Bailey are on it like white on rice. There are times it is hard to take them for a walk because they are foraging like hogs looking for truffles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

My husband uses a weed and feed product in the late fall and early spring to keep the weeds from coming up. The rest of the summer, he fertilizes so that the grass is healthy and thick and the weeds don't grow. The weed and feed is a granule like fertilizer that is watered into the soil. My dogs eat grass, especially Cash, and I've never had any problems with this system.

You'll have to check locally as to exactly what to use. I think it depends on what kind of grass you have.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Mine love spring grass and would graze all day if I let them. Old wives tale is they eat grass to vomit. Never heard the story that they need potassium. DH uses "round up" on the weeds, once it dries they're not interested.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Pat, what is the name of the weed and feed product?

Patt, doesn't Round-up contain really bad chemicals?
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyTrixie View Post
    Yes unfortunately it does. We've used it for years with no problems with the cats or dogs. After it has been sprayed I keep the dogs away from the areas for a few days. It dries rather quickly and doesn't create a problem. I'm sure you have a much smaller area to spray then we do, so perhaps it would be better if you used something like Patrice is using.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuneyTrixie View Post
    Pat, what is the name of the weed and feed product?

I'll have to ask the DH when he gets home, but most likely he won't remember. What we use here might not be best for your area either. It depends on what type of grass you have (or so I'm told by above mentioned DH ). If you ask at your local garden center, they'll probably be able to help you.

We've used Roundup on spot weeds in the spaces in the concrete. We do the same thing and just keep them away until it dries and have never had any problems.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Both Bayley and Braydi eat grass as does one of our cats. Sometimes they eat it and throw up, which tells me their tummies are bothering them. Other times they just eat it because, as my vet told me, it's their version of salad. One vet told me not to let them do it and another said it's fine...I've gotten different stories.

We use a professional lawn service for our yard and we were very concerned because obviously they use chemicals. We worked closely with them on what they are putting on our lawn and when. Basically, the lawn is fine within 24 hours of application so we keep them out of the yard (which is a little difficult but worth it) for a full 24 hours (sometimes more, to be safe) and the service always calls us and gives us a heads up when they will be there. Thankfully it seems to coincide with times we are away anyway.
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"