Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tater Tot

Thanks

Default Tater Tot

They walked him through the doors of the animal control. He wagged his tail and his head was held high, showing off his beautiful coat. He was strutting around, sure that everyone was admiring him as he entered that place, but very soon, his tail was tucked between his legs, and his ears were back. He could smell death and sadness.
    At the time in his life when he needed someone to reach down and assure him it would all be ok, his leash was handed over to a worker there and the only people he knew in the world turned their backs on him and walked away. He was put in a small cage to await his fate. Silently he watched as other dogs were led away to a dark room never to return.
    Tater was one of the very few lucky ones to get out of that Animal Control. He was rescued, but his trauma didn’t stop there. Tater grieved for a week and refused to eat. Finally, though, he came around and learned to play and loved to be loved on. He got to sleep wherever he wanted. He ate good food and had fresh water all of the time. Sadly, that bliss would be cut very short. You see, Tater had heart worms. A parting gift, you could say, from the owners who loved him so much. He wasn’t worth 12.00 a month to prevent this deadly disease. Gulf Coast Dachshund Rescue began treating him for heart worms. At first, he did well. A couple of weeks later, though, he began to urinate blood. An emergency trip to his vet that he had likely thrown a clump of heart worms which ended up in his vena cava. A prognosis of 72 hours was given. He seemed to get better, though, and the bloody urine stopped.
    5 days later, he was let out to potty. He was found 30 minutes later, struggling to breathe and unresponsive. I, his foster mom, the one who nursed him through the depression he struggled with, the one who rushed him to the vet to be sure he was going to be ok, the one who struggled to get him to breathe again by trying to perform CPR, the only person in his short life who seemed to give a damn, held him as he took his last breath. Tater Tot deserved so much more.

Thanks

The one thing in that paragraph that sticks out - his foster Mom cared. Loved him. So many never experience true love; he did. I am so very very sorry that he has left but am so very very glad that he had love when he did.
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

Tonya, I am so sorry... I can feel your pain as I read your post, you are my friend and I know first hand what a huge heart you have. I also know that you made a difference in Tater Tot's life. It would have ended months ago in that horrible room in animal control. He would have not had sweet little boys to play with and to pet him... he would not have had a soft bed, good food, clean water and a foster mom to do all she could to save him. Yes, his life was too short, but in the end he had a home and true love and someone to hold him and mourn for him. It wasn't fair, but you did everything you could... the fault is not yours... it belongs to those "people" who strolled into animal control and threw him away.....after they didn't responsibly care for him when he lived in their home.....
    Ann-Marie and Lulu
    Shelby , Yogi , Sophie & Lucy

Saving just one dog won't change the world...but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    Unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Aw sweetie, it's not the quantity of the life, but the quality, and I'd say (esp seeing those pics) that Tater lived an entire lifetime in the short time he had with you. Take some comfort from that. I do understand how you feel...it's how I feel with Wen every single day of our lives together. It doesn't matter how long he's with me, it will NEVER make up for the time before he found his way home.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Safe journey, beautiful boy.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

That story just brings tears to my eyes and pain in my heart. I'm SO sorry for your loss. He was a lovely furbaby and obviously felt your love, from those pictures. You did all you could do, and he knows it. RIP, Tater Tot.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Oh boy---this made me cry.
    RIP sweet boy.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

I am so very sorry to learn of Tater Tot's passing. Although the survivor of neglect, at least in the end he knew both love and TLC. I'm sure he'll be waiting for you at the "bridge" with tail wagging. I'll light a prayerful :candle13: for both of you.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

So very sorry! He felt what love is to the very end. And you gave it to him with all your heart.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

I am so sorry to hear this. We were all pulling for him.
    Keeper of the Hogwarts Crew,
    Dumbledore , Draco, Bellatrix (Bella), and Minerva (Minny)