Thread: Wheat

Thanks

Question Wheat

Someone just gave me dog treats with wheat flour listed as the first ingredient. I don't normally stray from Bella's normal diet and for some reason I thought wheat flour was bad for dog treats? Any help on this? I leaning towards tossing them.
    Kelli (Hoomom to Bella & Cooper)

Thanks

Default Some dogs (Chief is one of them)

can't "do" wheat....he gets diarrhea from it. Other dogs have no problems....what are the other ingredients? I wouldn't toss them unless you know that Bella has issues with wheat.
    Loren and the misCHIEFmeister

Please be my pal!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

A lot of dogs have trouble with wheat. Wheat is one of the most common allergens. I'd be careful of it, especially if she's shown any sensitivity in the past to wheat.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Jen Guest

Tasha gets itchy and barfy if she eats foods with too much wheat, and I suspect, corn. But we do give her the occasional cookie with wheat as no matter how many times I tell my relatives she can't have wheat, they still tend tempting goodies that contain it. So we just do a little at a time and freeze the rest...

So if you give Bella a bit, and have no digestive issues, its probably ok in moderation. Provided the other ingredients look good.

Thanks

As the others have said some dogs are allergic to wheat. Trixie has no problem with any food, just try it and see if she has a reaction to it.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I agree with what everyone else has said. Just try a little bit and see how she reacts to it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mom to Dachshunds: Pippit, IzzyBean and Calli

Thanks

Thanks All. I will break off a little piece and see what she does. If wheat flour wasn't the first ingredient I wouldn't worry so much. I have gotten so used to the carrot, pumpkin and bully stick trio of treats that I worry about introducing anything else. She'll eat anything but that doesn't mean she gets it. :D
    Kelli (Hoomom to Bella & Cooper)