Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default James Decides to Try to be a Mystery Doggy *updated*

Last night, James woke me up around 1:30 SCREAMING in pain, then stopped. My very first thought was a disc, but no evidence of soreness along spine, moving head and neck ok, and toe test perfect. Checked him over very thoroughly, but couldn't find anything AT ALL. It took him a while to stop shaking, and go back to sleep. (Needless to say, I didn't sleep again .) Repeat performance around 3:00. He's absolutely fine this morning, full of piss and vinegar, chasing his cuzball, eating just fine...all well!!!

NO idea what caused this...he was lying flat on his side on top of the covers, and hadn't been thrashing around or anything. Nightmare? Abscess tooth? Heart attack (that's my worry)? I have no idea. Laura, of course, is on vacation, but I was taking them all in for toe chopping and butt squeezing this afternoon, so Emma will check him over for me. that it's nothing serious!!!

The same thing actually happened a couple of weeks ago, but I had rolled over in my sleep and whacked him by accident, and I just put it down to him being REALLY startled. Perhaps not...

I'm tired of having mystery doggies now, thankyouverymuch!!!!!
    Last edited by Alex's Mom; 08-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

That's sort of the way it was when Miller hurt his leg (or I should say Scooter hurt Miller's leg with overly enthusiastic playing ). Miller would yelp and shake and then be fine. Then a few minutes later, repeat. The difference is that Miller's yelps would be a few minutes apart. Not hours or days.

Sending for James and for you.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

The mysterious world and way of our doxies - never anything normal. Hopefully it was nothing.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

it is nothing serious and he is just being a drama queen...err..King!

If it only happens when he is sleeping, I am wondering if it is a bad dream.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Fingers & paws crossed that it's nothing serious
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Fingers & paws crossed that it's nothing serious
    Amy - wife to Bob
    Mommy to 3 boys - Nick, Greg & Jay
    Mommy to mini doxies - Harley & Sasha

Thanks

Wow - many for nothing serious!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Default **Update**

Talked to Laura, who suggested that if it wasn't a disc, then her next thought would be gastric, like a gas bubble (which can be REALLY painful, as I know too well) or maybe stones of some ilk. Heart comes last on the list.

Anyway, took them all in for their spa day, and left them while I went off to run an errand. Got back to find that Emma had already looked at him, and figured he'd blown a cervical disc. :faint: NOT what I wanted to hear...to say that my heart stopped would be an understatement!!!

However, James is NOT acting like a disc dog, is shaking his head quite freely and bouncing around, so I had my doubts. Turns out that she was basing it on the chronic right hind deficit that James has had as long as I've had him, which of course she wouldn't know about since she's not his regular vet, (on the rare occasion I can afford chiro for him AND Wendal, who needs it more, Laura's been working on it), and hard muscle on the left side of his neck. I think (and so does she, now that she knows about the deficit ) that it was either gas or perhaps a muscle spasm. So he's on medicam for a couple of weeks, just in case it's a disc in the early stages, and I'm to keep him relatively quiet (not hard to do in my geriartric household ) and watch to make sure it doesn't get any worse. I'm going to chat with Laura to see what she has to say, but I think we'll live. :relieved:
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I hope it is nothing serious.
    He could be Drama Queening it. When you rolled on him and he yelped, you babied him, petted and soothed him - right? Well, being the little connivers they are, he could be yelping every time somebody in the bed moves so he'll get some special lovin's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Red Haired Girl View Post
    I hope it is nothing serious.
    He could be Drama Queening it. When you rolled on him and he yelped, you babied him, petted and soothed him - right? Well, being the little connivers they are, he could be yelping every time somebody in the bed moves so he'll get some special lovin's.
    Actually, no. I was sound asleep, made sure he was ok, then went right back to sleep . (that was the first time.) He does love his sugar, but he loves his sleep more, so I know something really did hurt him.
    Paula & Buster