Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Swollen Lymph Nodes in the neck area =(

Last night I was petting Bruno before bed and noticed a squooshy lump on the side of his neck behind the jaw. I felt the other side and same thing. I can like move them around a little and they feel to be the size of dried apricots but squooshy. I called the vet today and we are going in after work to find out if I'm feeling swollen lymph nodes. The vet said they sound too large to be mistaken for the salivary glands. I made the mistake of googling this and now I'm nervous as all heck because all I keep reading about his lymphoma =(. I don't seem to find any other swollen nodes on his body just on both sides of his neck. Can anyone offer up any advice or insight on this? I'm one worried momma right now!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Swollen lymph glands can be a lot of things. Usually they signify that there is an infection present. The glands will swell when they are fighting off infection. I had a really bad sinus infection last spring and had very swollen lymph glands on both sides of my neck. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. It's likely something minor, but you don't want to take the chance.

Update us when you can, okay?
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I know it is hard not to panic, but wait until you see the vet. Your vet most likely will need to take a sample and send it off for testing if he / she has any concerns.

I am sending lots and lots of rayz that is nothing serious.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Thank you...I'm hoping someone on here might have been through something similiar where it didn't end up being cancer. Everything I find online is very depressing about lymphoma and a quick end =(. I really don't know what I'd do without my dog I don't even want to think about it but now I can't help it I'm so nervous! I am praying so hard it's something treatable and minor you have no idea. Alot of the things I have read about people finding this problem say that the glands were harder and grape size. I really felt silly and asked my vet if I was mistaking his lymph nodes for his salivary glands which would be awesome but he doesn't think so...either way we are getting checked and I'll update as soon as I can!

Thanks

I know exactly what you are feeling right now. I have been through the "what is it" phase of a swollen lymph node, and waiting for the results is tough. Many and
    Keeper of the Hogwarts Crew,
    Dumbledore , Draco, Bellatrix (Bella), and Minerva (Minny)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lala25 View Post
    squooshy.
    My Dumbledore had lymphoma and swollen neck lymph nodes were the first sign. His lymph nodes did not feel exactly squooshy, there was a little fleshy feeling and give when you first started to squeeze them but then the rest was hard mass.

Keeper of the Hogwarts Crew,
    Dumbledore , Draco, Bellatrix (Bella), and Minerva (Minny)

Thanks

I think many of us self diagnosis using the internet. Its not a good thing to do because as you said, we fill our minds with too much info, and info that probably has nothing to do with what is actually going on. I have done it tons of times, even for myself and was scared out of my mind. So, as hard as it is try to calm down, and you shall get some answers from the vet. The right answers.
    Sending for Bruno and calming for you.
    Let us know as soon as you can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

James' lymph glands swell up with allergies quite often, and feel like you're describing. It could be lymphoma, but it could be other stuff too, including a cold or sinus infection. The internet is a good place to get info, but as Laura always says to me (as I'm panicking about something ) for lay people, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing . Wait to see what your vet says, and we're anxiously waiting to hear too. Tons of coming at you.
    Last edited by lotsadox; 07-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    James' lymph glands swell up with allergies quite often, and feel like you're describing. It could be lymphoma, but it could be other stuff too, including a cold or sinus infection. The internet is a good place to get info, but as Laura always says to me (as I'm panicking about something ) for lay people, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing . Wait to see what your vet says, and we're anxiously waiting to hear too. Tons of coming at you.
    My lymph glands swell up with allergies, too. And Bogart had swollen glands once from something minor. I can't remember now what it was.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Once an e-vet told me Sofie's lymph nodes were too big. My regular vet said it is not uncommon for small dogs to have slightly enlarged nodes.

But I would of course have them checked out. Just for your peace of mind.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.