Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Unhappy Help ... fence fighting

My newest neighbors got a new dog. He/She is really sweet and nice and NEVER barks. The fence is a wood privacy but the dogs can see through the slats so when the dog comes up to the fence to check out my gang my 7 go nuts. I've been trying to train them to stay away from the fence but so far it hasn't worked. I'm taking out the dogs standing in front of the fence to make sure they don't go crazy which limits they're time outside. The water bottle works great when I'm out there with them but I really would love to be able to leave them outside longer the 15/30 minutes at a time. Any suggestions?
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

I am not sure what your weather is like, but in the summer, we swear by the "Scarecrow" It attaches to your garden hose. We put it along the fence line facing my dogs. They have totally stopped barking at the fence.

The only downside of it, you really need to tweak it, so it is a gentle spray, you don't want a dachshund blown across the yard :smile: but given how much they generally don't like water, on the super low setting with the garden hose barely on, it works.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

The scarecrow does work. We used one at our other house to keep the dogs away from the gate. I've been thinking about getting another to keep Scooter away from the fence.

You and also put an electric wire about a foot from the fence and raise off of the ground. It won't stop the barking, but will keep them away from the fence which might help.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Yep, if you can block off the line of sight to the other dogs, that would solve most of the problem. Can you hang a tarp or something at the lower level to block off their view?
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

I will have to look into this scarecrow thing because my boys are bananas at barking!
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

I've never heard of the "Scarecrow". It sounds like a great idea. I will forward this on to one of my friends that has trouble with her dog barking. Thanks!
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

One thing I'm going to try is the better weed block for the ground. We're going to staple it to the fence but right now I can't find anything since they're out of season and I'm going to need a lot of it since the fence is quite long and I'll have to do at least three to four feet high (I have two tall dogs). I'll also look into the scarecrow but that won't work during the winter since we tend to get really cold here. Electric fence is against the city zoning so that's out. I sure wish my gang were nice dogs .. lol that would solve a lot of my problems.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Ask your neighbor if you can let the dogs meet one at a time. Bring your dogs to their yard and their dog to your yard. Sometimes it is just the unknown that they are barking at.
    ~Carolyn ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedByDoxies View Post
    Ask your neighbor if you can let the dogs meet one at a time. Bring your dogs to their yard and their dog to your yard. Sometimes it is just the unknown that they are barking at.
    In a perfect world that's what I would do but I haven't even met these people and they have no interest in meeting (I've seen them outside a lot but they aren't friendly). They also have two little dogs that they walk out in their front yard and I haven't met them yet either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frzframe View Post
    One thing I'm going to try is the better weed block for the ground. We're going to staple it to the fence but right now I can't find anything since they're out of season and I'm going to need a lot of it since the fence is quite long and I'll have to do at least three to four feet high (I have two tall dogs). I'll also look into the scarecrow but that won't work during the winter since we tend to get really cold here. Electric fence is against the city zoning so that's out. I sure wish my gang were nice dogs .. lol that would solve a lot of my problems.
    I'm not talking about an electric fence. Just one wire run above the ground. I find it hard to believe that the city bans you from running ONE electric wire above the ground next to your fence.

The scarecrow is a rain jet sprinkler with a motion detector so that it squirts them when they are in the area. Here's a link We used it at the other house to keep the dogs from digging at the gate. It does work great, but wouldn't be good in areas where it freezes.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue