Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Jules Jeffrey Romanow - Aug/1999 - 8 Feb/2012 VPH

It's so hard to believe that it was just a little over 3 years ago that the Js came into my life. Most of you know this story, but for those of you who don't, I had just lost my heart dog Alex, and had decided that I really needed a break for a few months before thinking about another one. However, I was doing rescue at the time, and 2 weeks after my old girl crossed, I got a number of calls about 2 senior dachsies whose 36 year old mom had died unexpectedly from cancer, and whose ex-husband was going to euthanize her dogs. His mom was aghast and asked for 2 weeks to find them a home. He'd already made the vet appointment when I called, but he agreed to let me foster them until I could find them a new home. My heart was still raw from Alex, and it was WAY too soon for new dogs.

Yeah, right .

So I went to pick them up. And found 2 little fatties...Jules weighed 18lbs instead of the 11 she should have, and James was 27lbs, instead of the 17 he should have been.

The guy told me quite proudly it only cost him $7 a month to feed them . Made sense when I discovered that he was feeding them Ol' Roy Smallbits, cuz they were having trouble chewing; god forbid he should take them to the vet to see what was going on!!! The trouble chewing was cuz they both had rotten mouths, esp. Jules. There were lots of other little tidbits he neglected to tell me: they had lived almost all of their lives in an apartment, never getting to go outside. They were "papertrained"...when the mood struck them . And obedience training was totally unheard of.

But they were such joyful little dogs, who were ecstatic when I got them home and let them out to explore my very large yard.

Within the first month of being here, they both had dentals and while James lost 6 teeth, poor Jules lost 32 - all but 10 of her teeth. And had a bunch of other stuff wrong too. But seeing the joy in them as they explored the big wide world was just what my poor old heart needed, it turned out.

We went to the beach,

and discovered snow (much to their disgust)!

and got REALLY excited about eating a proper (and home cooked) meal

Over the next three years, poor ol' Jules lost the rest of her teeth, and her spleen, was diagnosed with irritable bowel disease, had a butt abscess and a variety of other misadventures. She was such a little drama queen, you never knew if it REALLY hurt that much or if she was just being a hambone. Didn't matter though, cuz she was in general a happy, loving, sweet little dog.

And then, a year later, Wen arrived. James was NOT impressed, but Jules decided that she quite liked her new brother. And he absolutely adored her

So it is maybe fitting that she followed him so closely to the bridge. That is about the only comfort I'm finding in these last few months of loss...they're together, and her first mom, Ann-Marie, who loved her dearly, and who refused to listen to everyone telling her to get rid of the dogs when she became so sick, was also there to greet her.

But it is only a small comfort. I miss her little rooing bark at supper time, or when I came home. And I miss her little dances of joy that she'd break into at the drop of a hat. And I miss her soft little head when she'd cuddle next to me. But most of all, I miss her joyful spirit...she reminded me every day that life was good, and all one really needs is a warm place to sleep, good food, and being surrounded by love. If Wen was the best of me, Jules was the gentle part of me. And now, James and I, sole survivors, both slightly hard-bitten and a bit wary, rattle around trying to find a rhythm in our days, without her to balance us both.

Godspeed, sweet girl. You live in my heart, always. Til we're together again.....
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

This is a beautiful tribute to Jules. You did right by her and Wen to their last day with you. Huge hug to you Paula. You are a very special person.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

That was beautiful Paula. I wish I could offer you some words of comfort for your wounded heart.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Paula, a beautiful told story and wonderful pictures. Thank for shaing again.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Beautifully said, Paula. You were the best thing for those dogs and bless you for having the strength to give them joy even though it wasn't for a long long time. I'm so sure that Jules found her Wen at the Bridge!!
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Well said, well done, and incredibly well loved, Paula. My heart is still hurting, but after that tribute it's more overflowing with joy at the lives you gave them instead of the pain of the loss.
    I hope the peace from doing the right thing by Jules (and Wen) and the joy of having watched them discover the real world replaces your pain.
    Love u
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

What a beautiful tribute from a very special lady...thank you for your big heart and loving these babies so completely. You were all so blessed to have found each other....
    Ann-Marie and Lulu
    Shelby , Yogi , Sophie & Lucy

Saving just one dog won't change the world...but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    Unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

What a wonderful tribute! It made me all teary *sniff*
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    What a wonderful tribute! It made me all teary *sniff*
    Me, too. Beautifully said.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Very Beautiful! It made me cry. Your description of Jules reminded me of Roxy (who went to the bridge in December). She was also a drama queen who would bark at me if it took too long to get her dinner made.

I have enjoyed your posts about the Js over the years.

Sending to you and James.
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105