Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Question about selling dogs... any Texans?

OK, I have a friend I used to work with who now lives in Texas and she was gushing on FB about her new dog purchase over the last few days. She has purchased a really cute pit bull female. Here lies the problem..... she's only 5 weeks old. I thought in order to be taken from the mother they had to be 8 weeks old? My friend also has a very large male dog in her home and two rowdy boy toddlers, so I fear for the safety of such a small dog. I know she will grow fast and large, but still over the next few weeks she will be subject to harm. I am thinking this dog had to come from a puppy mill or BYB. Someone mentioned that she shouldn't have got one so young and that it shouldn't be taken from its mother yet and she got defensive, so I won't say anything to her. But I was wondering what the law is in Texas. Here in Florida, I am almost positive the dog has to be 8 weeks old and has to have a Health Certificate issued by a veterinarian. I wish I knew where she got the dog.
    Amy - wife to Bob
    Mommy to 3 boys - Nick, Greg & Jay
    Mommy to mini doxies - Harley & Sasha

Thanks

I don't think TX has any age laws. I found this and there aren't very many states that do have them. Thank goodness KS does.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/o...ysaletable.htm

I will say that larger breed dogs tend to ween their pups around 4/5 weeks. At least that is what happened with the ones I fostered for my shelter. The mom started leaving the babies at 3/4 weeks and refused to go into their pen at 4/5 weeks. The larger breed dogs mature faster then the smaller ones.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Weaning age has very little to do with why a puppy needs to stay with his or her litter mates longer than 8 weeks. 12 weeks is best, especially for larger breeds. They NEED their mother and litter mates to teach them how to act. Without that guidance, she could very well be in for a long, hard road as far as discipline goes. Those few extra weeks are very important in a young dog's life. Indy was taken from his mom at FOUR weeks, and he was a very ill-adjusted dog his entire life, even though he had an owner who understood dog behavior and and how to deal with difficult dogs (me). He attached to only me, and had no idea how to be a real, happy dog. :(

Thanks

I thought those weeks with mom and litter mates helped them to learn bite inhibition, and some basic manners. Shame on that breeder having the dog leave so early!

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't think there is an age law here and I do think the dog came from a puppy mill. When we got Pebbles 20 some years ago when we didn't know any better she was 7 weeks. Bogart came from a breeder and was 12 weeks which is a much better age. I think they should be older when they are separated from their mother and the litter for many reasons. IMO 5 weeks is way too young. I hope that things work out for this pup.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AgileOllie View Post
    Weaning age has very little to do with why a puppy needs to stay with his or her litter mates longer than 8 weeks. 12 weeks is best, especially for larger breeds. They NEED their mother and litter mates to teach them how to act. Without that guidance, she could very well be in for a long, hard road as far as discipline goes. Those few extra weeks are very important in a young dog's life. Indy was taken from his mom at FOUR weeks, and he was a very ill-adjusted dog his entire life, even though he had an owner who understood dog behavior and and how to deal with difficult dogs (me). He attached to only me, and had no idea how to be a real, happy dog. :(
    It's best for the puppies to stay with mom (if she'll have them) and litter mates until 8 - 12 weeks to learn to be social and bite inhibition.

I read that smaller breeds mature slower both physically and mentally which is why they need to stay with their mom longer. I've found this to be true with the foster dogs I've had. All of my large breed foster dogs didn't go near their puppies after 4/5 weeks even though I tried my hardest to make them. I felt so bad for those babies but then I think back and remember they were already 5/7 pounds at the time I really can't blame poor momma one little bit.

I sure wish I had video of me with one of them doing the four foot plant while I'm trying to pick all 90 pounds of her up and put her through the x-pen gate. Once I got her in she turned right around and jumped out (it was a 4 foot tall pen).
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

As long as they are weened it is usually fine but I would never separate a puppy from mother before 5 or 6 weeks. 5 weeks is a little on the young side, but as long as she is vigilant, it should be fine. I hope she gets all the parvo shots needed and doesn't set him on the ground outside until he is fully vaccinated against it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

She probably got the pup from a BYB. There's litter after litter of Pitties for sale on CL, and Kijiji some as early as 4 weeks. Pits are very popular and when they don't sell they end up in shelters or killed by the BYB. They don't care about the pups, they just want their $$$$.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Anyone who would buy a 5 week old puppy, and anyone who would think it is OK to buy a 5 week old puppy, is seriously lacking in basic pet education and should not get a dog until they get up to speed on pets and their care.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Haired Girl View Post
    Anyone who would buy a 5 week old puppy, and anyone who would think it is OK to buy a 5 week old puppy, is seriously lacking in basic pet education and should not get a dog until they get up to speed on pets and their care.
    EXACTLY what I was thinking, Tracy. Both my girls that came from breeders (Maxe and Alex) came to me at 14 and 12 weeks respectively. I kind of missed not having that little puppy thing happening, but it was SO much better for them. I hate to think what Alex would have been like without that crucial socialization period...she was pretty bad with it!!!!!!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."