Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Anyone feeding Hills Prescription Diet t/d Dental Health?

Bailey had his dental today and sailed through with flying colors, no extractions, etc. Since he is on a wellness plan, it only cost me $16.00 for the extra heat pad to warm him up after surgery.

The vet said he has a bad tartar problem and suggested feeding him Hills Prescription Diet t/d Dental Health Small Bites. She gave me some samples of the regular size to try. I gave him a nugget as a treat and he LOVED it and wanted another one. So, I don't have to more about him liking it. I just wondered if anyone is feeding this and if they notice a difference in their dog's teeth.
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105

Thanks

I really do not like the Hills food and with the exception on the one for kidneys would never use it. Unless you go natural there is no other available food I know of.

My personal opinion is the vets recommend it because the Distributors give them a kick back, per my own vet. I was told the same thing about Science diet too.

OK, I think I am being a little vocal but manufactures and distributors that gives kick back infuriate me to no end.
    Last edited by Yolanda; 02-21-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yolanda View Post
    I really do not like the Hills food and with the exception on the one for kidneys would never use it. Unless you go natural there is no other available food I know of.

My personal opiion is the vets recommend it because the Distributors give them a kick back, per my own vet. I was told the smae thing about Sciene diet too.

Ok, I think I am being a little vocal but manafactures and distributers that gives kcik back infurate me to kn end.
    I do think that often happens. Vets recommend what they make money on which is not always the same as the best food.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I had tried feeding it but stopped. Sebastian still inhaled it like he does with his regular kibble. So, I was concerned he'd choke on such large kibble. Sofie did chew every single piece but I didn't see any significant improvement in her tartar buildup. And since I wasn't crazy about the ingredients I didn't think it was worth it at all.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

I fed my Tristan this his entire life because the vet recommended it. His skin was very dry and his coat was fuzzy, and he was very low energy. He died at age 10 of a spleen tumor. I have no idea how much of this was due to being poorly bred or whether any of it had to do with diet, but I wish with all my heart that I had tried a healthier food like the Wellness I give the girls. The ingredients are primarily corn and chicken by-products.

T ate the big bites and he seemed to really enjoy them - I believe they do keep the back teeth clean, but do nothing for the front ones. I'd suggest giving a healthy food and reserving these for a treat, or just giving bones or bully sticks as a treat. They'll do the same thing.

I will say I do like Hills ID if the girls need a bland diet for whatever reason - I think it's a great temporary food, and dogs seem to like it even if they don't feel much like eating. But for the main diet, I think you can do much better.

Just my experience.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I tried Alex on it, but it really didn't agree with her. ITA about the Hills foods...you really can't beat their prescription foods (k/d, i/d and a/d for a really sick dog) but I think this is a bit of a scam. You can get the same effect with a hard nylabone, which is what I ended up using for Alex...it was the only toy she cared about.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    I tried Alex on it, but it really didn't agree with her. ITA about the Hills foods...you really can't beat their prescription foods (k/d, i/d and a/d for a really sick dog) but I think this is a bit of a scam. You can get the same effect with a hard nylabone, which is what I ended up using for Alex...it was the only toy she cared about.
    Oscar cracked (and lost) two back molars grinding away at nylabones. I think these are really only for younger dogs (my opinion only). I also think that regular dentals (like for humans) is part of the key to good dental health.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

Give him a raw chicken neck once per week. Awesome for teeth, coat and skin. Mine get raw regularly.

Thanks

My vet (unfortunately) recommended Hills B/D for my Lexie, since she has some CCD issues. I must admit it did improve her CCD quite a bit. I wish I could find another brand besides Hills that was good for CCD issues - I'd take her off of it in a minute, although I have heard from other knowledgeable doxie owners that their prescription varieties are pretty good. Don't know anything about the T/D type, though.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

I picked up a small bag of the bigger chunks because my vet recommended it. Georgia is the only one who will take the time to chew it so when I measure out her good kibble, I include 2 chunks. I was told the chunks are made fiberous so when they chew it's like a box going through a screen, not just cracking open. Does that make sense? Anyway, I don't like the first 5 ingredients so this will not be her main food. The chicken is 3rd to rice and corn so couldn't they have at least made the chicken muscle meat and not chicken by products??? Gosh. Beaks, feet and unavoidable feathers are in 'by products'. I will be telling the vet my opinion on that at the next visit when Georgia has her teeth cleaned. I do supplement some oils to help with their coats over the dry winter. Not really interested in purchasing a 2nd bag.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~