Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Duchie update May 31

Thought last night was the end of the road... When I checked on her at lunch she was sleeping but went out to potty... When I got home around 5 we went out again and there was (icky warning!) bloody poop soup. Then just blood. Fresh. I freaked slick out.

After cleaning up and scaring DH to death, I realized I had not put her tummy medicine in her pill box this week, so she's been chomping pills with no tummy protector since Sunday :(

We spent a lot of quality time last night and talked about the rainbow bridge and all of the friends she has there waiting to run and play together...

This morning I was awakened to some rustling around in the stroller. She ate about 3/4 of a scrambled egg and some people chicken last night, and I should have gotten up and taken her out when I heard the rustling. Instead I went back to sleep and awoke to a FOUL smell.

FOUL I say! There had been a loose poops a palooza, so we went straight to the bathtub while all bedding went in the washer on HOT....

And she has more Duchie-ness this morning than she's had in several days. I feel awful for forgetting the Tagamet! Bad mommy!!!

But we have made paw prints for Tonya (not very pretty ones, I'm afraid....) and plan to box up the loaner cart and send it back to Yo today... And we will just keep doing what we are doing until we can't do it anymore.

I think a visit to Dr Brian is in order. She has a pretty large internal cysty-feeling thing in her groin and it worries me.

She wouldn't eat the A/D again today, but quite enjoyed most of a scrambled egg.

Sweet old thing....
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

thinking about that cyst-y thing...it could be an enlarged lymph node too. Get him to do some bloodwork, Rae. It could clarify what's going on. Love you guys more than there are words.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I was thinking bloodwork might shed some light. Thanks y'all. Will update as information becomes available.

Thanks

Oh the sweet girl
    The way she is eating and not eating unless you change the food is kinda saying kidney failure to me. If you notice a bad smell to her in general (aside from the poopapaloozas ), that is another sign. Subcutaneous fluids can help with that..help flush the toxins out (they tend to make them a tad nauseous). IF you want to go that route..not saying you have to. Bloodwork would tell, if you want to have that done....
    She just keeps chugging along, doesn't she??? What an amazing dog she is. And you are an amazing mom.
    Last edited by areese; 05-31-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by areese View Post
    Oh the sweet girl She just keeps chugging along, doesn't she??? What an amazing dog she is. And you are an amazing mom.
    Alex handed her "wonderdog" title to a most worthy successor!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Amy, Dr. Kim said the same thing about the food changing might equal kidney failure...

And the cysty-thingy which could be something else is bothering me too.

Thanks

Ok. Question.... So what is the point at this stage in the saga of taking her to the vet to be poked and prodded?

Yes I might find out if her kidneys are failing but what good would that information do us? She's nearing the end. Is poking and prodding going to extend life, and at this point and quality.... Do we even want to?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I woke up thinking about you and HRH this morning. This is such a tough stage.

That's exactly where I was with both Sweetums and Bogart, Rae. They both had kidney failure and I elected not to treat and just take what time I had with both of them. I didn't even do bloodwork to treat. My vet said it was kidney failure and since I trust her implicitly (sp), I believed her. I didn't want them to have any more poking than was necessary since it was just going to be to prolong their life for a couple of weeks for me. At 18 and 16 it wasn't going to cure them. Its a tough decision to make and I did it more on instinct than anything else. I just felt in my gut that this was the end. My vet concurred which made it easier also.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

First of all, big hugs to both of you..... my heart goes out to you Rae - each day is different from the previous one at this point... all you can do is take one day at a time...and get through it, and rejoice in the fact that you have shared one more day with that precious girl.
    My 2 cents on the poking and prodding - I would say yes - take her in and get the bloodwork done at least - so that you know what might be going on, and can know what to do to make her the most comfortable. And to me, that is the most important thing right now....comfort and lovies from mommy.
    If she will eat de eggies and de chickie - give her de eggies and de chickie...with a side of cheese
    Love you both, as we all do, and know how tough this time is for you. Duchie is basking in the glow of your love for her and the life you have given her. You GAVE her a life...truly.
    Barb,Owned by Rudy Brandy-Angel Toby Mary Holly