Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Long vs Short Hair

My first Doxie was a black & tan short hair. After she passed away we got a red longhair and since then have stayed with the longer haired Doxie. Do most people have a preference for one or another and why?

Thanks

I am a total longhair person. In my experience (meaning all the smooth fosters I have had) the smooths don't understand the concept of "personal space". I really think it is just personal preference though. In general the coats do relate to personality but there are ALWAYS exceptions...

wire hairs - wired

smooth - high maintance

long hair - stoners

again, this is just a general rule...

Thanks

After having been owned by the Duchie I can attest that in her case, she is smooth and the term high maintenance is an understatement.

Worth it, for sure... Just saying.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I don't much "shop" for dogs, i.e. go looking for a special coat, color, etc., my dogs just seem to find me.

I've had both and I prefer the smooth coat because I tend to have a busy life and there is so much less maintenance with the smooth coats. Very little brushing, no trimming, few baths. Yeah, I"m lazy.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

After a Cocker Spaniel and a Shi'tzu in the house at the same time I am definitely a smooth lover. Pepper sheds. She only does it to fry my clams.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    I don't much "shop" for dogs, i.e. go looking for a special coat, color, etc., my dogs just seem to find me.

I've had both and I prefer the smooth coat because I tend to have a busy life and there is so much less maintenance with the smooth coats. Very little brushing, no trimming, few baths. Yeah, I"m lazy.
    Ditto! My boys found me. 2 short 1 long but I too prefer short hair. Baxter is a pain with grooming even though we take him to a groomer and with rain or snow and mud he tracks in so much! Love him but I do hope my next dog (not for a very long time!) will be a short hair that finds me but if it's a long hair, I welcome it into my home.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

I have 2 long now but used to have 3 long at one point. Each has its own personality. Sebastian has no idea of personal space. Touching, licking, snuggling, etc. Sofie most of the time sleeps on her own, but is also a handful because she is anxious a lot. Sabrina was attention demanding as a single dog. She is 9 but still plays with toys, zooms around, etc. Nothing of a "stoner".
    It is very individual. Just like people.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

I was totally fixated on getting a black and tan long when I got Laika, but my previous dog was very very hairy (cocker/poodle mix I guess). I just like how they look..I love the ears. Laika is really curly which isn't the rule but I love it. And she's so soft. In a tactile sense, I prefer long hair. But I have three short-haired dogs too so...whatever comes my way. My dachshunds are opposite of what is expected of them personality/coat wise. Laika is an intense, prey-driven diva. Owen (smooth) is laid-back and sweet and reserved. Laika has her tongue up everybody's nose 5 minutes after you meet her.
    And there really is not much maintenance for Laika. I brush her every so often and trim her feet before I do her nails. I do bathe her more than the others but I just love the way she smells and feels after a bath.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Yup, funny how predictable they can be. Our Buddy is rambunctious and rings true to wire-hair predictions. Holly is a long-haired space cadet, like she's stoned & so casual about life. Jeb was the most laid back smooth, ever, although sometimes stubborn as all get out, but definitely not high maintenance.

Coat-wise, smooths always look perfectly groomed, whereas for the LH/WH you gotta accept lotsa bad hair days so those are not for OCD folks. Yet only the cats liked being groomed. I think LH looks gorgeous, but gets so wet each morning in the damp grass. Apart from personal likes, maintenance isn't much different between them all. I must admit that ticks are way easier to spot on smooth coat. We get ticks daily.

Ultimately, coat style & color don't matter to me. Kisses & demeanor do.

Thanks

DH and I both grew up with cocker spaniels, so we liked the LH look. Our first little guy was totally laid-back and mellow, too. The girls do NOT fit that definition. They are sweet and submissive, but IN NO WAY are they laid-back or mellow .

We still love the LH look and soft coats, though . None of my 3 have needed any excessive grooming other than brushing periodically (sometimes it's monthly cause I am lazy - their fur is soft and I can usually work mats out with my fingers while I'm petting them) and I furminate Cassie every couple months. Angel doesn't even need that; she has an in-between coat which is fantastic because she does not care for being brushed.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel