Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Duchiesmom is now also Savannahsmom

Well.
    I did not intend to get another dog until Duchess Wagoner crossed over the Rainbow Bridge, but sometimes things just happen... as they are supposed to.

On Wednesday May 30, I was certain the Duchess was leaving this Earth. Had planned to call Dr. Brian, she was all bad, etc. My IRL BFF Amy brought not one but two doxie puppies, only 4 weeks old (born May 1) to visit me in hopes of cheering me up and with every intention of making sure one or both of them became Wagoners when they were old enough.

One was bossy and barky and thought she was a Rottie, the other was chillaxed and mellow.

I was glad they were too young, because I was an emotional and physical train wreck. I knew there was no way I could deal with dying Duchie and two needy puppies.

Amy had been to my house with me to check on Duchie and we had lain in the floor with Duchie and cried for quite some time that very day, then she went to her office and lo and behold there was a man with..... two Doxie puppies. A lady in her office wanted one and the litter was only three.

When she arrived beaming "it's a GOD THING!" with the sisters wrapped in her scarf, I flat out called my BFF a liar, to her face, because I was convinced she had searched high and low for a puppy, etc. Because she would, and she's like that. Amy is an incredibly giving person and wants to help heal hearts... and she knows how I love the Dutch.

The man with the puppies had taken his dog to get her spayed and the vet said "um. Too late, there are puppies!" and they let her have them - I believe she will be spayed very soon.

She asked me about them again later and I just said "Amy, I can't do two puppies and Duchie. She's my #1 priority."
    And she is.
    Nothing could ever make me NOT take care of her to the best of my ability.
    I am not trying to replace her. There will never be another Duchie. She is my heart dog.

Amy called a week later and asked if I was sure about the puppies, and I said I just couldn't do it, and then she called a couple days later and said they were going (together) to a good home.

THEN yesterday she called and asked me what time I'd be home... This was after I had sent out some PMs that I thought it was time to help Duchie over the bridge....

and Amy showed up with ONE puppy - the one who thinks she is a Rottie. I was floored, because they were gone, adopted, off the table... and she handed it to me and said simply "here. I love you and I love Duchie and your heart is breaking and Duchie needs to hand over the keys to the kingdom before she Crosses the Bridge. This is the heir to the throne."

I was poleaxed.

The man Savannah came from has texted Amy no fewer than four times already to see how it was working out, have I named her, is it going to be a good fit, etc... And she said when she went to see the puppies the first time, the mommy looked like Duchie and the man and his wife collect Hot Diggety Dogs.

So... FOREVER Duchiesmom... and now Savannah'sMom, too.

Duchie is OK with Savannah and I have been very careful to give Duchie plenty of room and not allow her routine or rest to be disturbed.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

and you will be glad to know (as I am) that Duchie enjoyed half a porkchop for lunch today when Savannah and I went home to check on her.

Thanks

Even though I knew Savannah was part of your life this wonderful post is making me flow tears at work.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

I am so glad for all of you. It is always easier to heal a broken heart when there is a little one to take care of. Love to you all.

AND it's awesome to see that smile on your face.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

Ellen - very perceptive. I have not smiled like that in quite some time. I've had behind the scenes coaching and Yolanda and I have PMd like mad.. as have Paula and I and Patrice, too.

I really think I have failed the Duchess. On May 30 when she was so sick, I should have helped her over the Bridge, and I didn't. Sure, she feels better now and is in no pain that i can discern, but she was all bad, and I was already in mid-grief.

I believed I would "know" when it was time and I think looking back it was time and I refused to hear, or didn't notice the signs.

I honestly don't think Duchie will be with me much longer, and perhaps now that she knows I won't be alone she will be able to whisper in Savannah's ear all the things the new kid needs to know to take care of Mommy.

To each of you who have given me so much support on the board, on the phone, in your hearts, behind the scenes in PMs, email, whatever... You are my family and I love you all.

Thanks

the tears are flowing over here! Welcome home Savanna.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

I couldn't be happier for you, Rae . It bears repeating that there is more than enough love in your heart for both doxies, and this little puppy needs a mama .

If I remember right, this is not the first time new dogs have come into your home (wasn't there a Lucy?), and Duchie was well aware that she continued to be HRH .

And that is one cute pic of two VERY pretty girls!!

P.S. You are in trouble with that one. She's trouble, I can just tell. You thought Duchie was high-maintenance . I'd keep your leather shoes off the floor. WAY off the floor.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Kim - I knew when there was only one that it would be the bossy Rottie (who currently weights 3.2 lbs, per Dr. Brian) and my Mom said: "she will better suit your personality."

thanks, Mom....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Yup, totally in tears here too...even though I knew the heiress had arrived in the kingdom. SO happy about this, Rae. I think I'm detecting both Alex's and Wen's hands...um, paws...in this. You're sent what you need when you need it, which doesn't necessarily mean when you think you need it .

Welcome home, sweet girl. (And extra lovin's for HRH, just cuz.)
    Last edited by Yolanda; 06-15-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duchiesmom View Post

I believed I would "know" when it was time and I think looking back it was time and I refused to hear, or didn't notice the signs.
    I don't think it is ever true that pet parents will "know it's time" unless a dog is actively in severe pain or comatose with no chance of recovery. My mom had to decide twice. I think the second time she was comfortable with... the first time I think looking back she probably wishes she had waited. But you just have to do what your heart tells you. Like you said, every time you believed it was time and reached for the phone, she rallied .

I agree Duchie needed to see Savannah was here before she was ready to leave. She wants to know her mama will be taken care of.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel