Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default House/crate training is NOT going well for Savannah

To the point that it's causing great big problems for everyone, not just her.

She has fouled the area under our bed - poops there regularly. I can take her out for an hour and she will not poop, then if I let her loose she will beeline (zoomie!) to under the bed and poop. This morning she pooped like a CHAMP outside at 5:30 and I praised her like she cured the common cold AND gave her a treat immediately while praising and I will be darned if she didn't save three tiny pooplets for under the bed.

She is peeing under there too. I can't see it... but I am VERY confident that she is and therefore need to evacuate my husband from the house and get the Stanley Steemer people in there stat.

I got the tough love lecture from Dr. Brian yesterday and at bedtime (9:30) put her in the crate with a blanket and safe toys and told her goodnight and closed the door to the crate, then to the living room and went to bed.

It was horrific. She squealed at a decibel level and pitch that only other dogs should be able to hear. My teeth literally hurt. She was up and whining and screeching ALL NIGHT - I got up at 2 am to take her out to potty as she is still a baby with that tiny bladder and NO potty occurred.

I quietly with no fuss returned her to the crate where she picked up right where she left off.

There was a conversation, which did NOT go well, about 3 and I got up to "do something with that **** dog" - I let her out of the crate and lay on the couch where she immediately sighed and went to sleep.

I understand that she needs to learn but in spite of her tiny terror diva-ness, I think she was scared to death.

All bad at my house. All bad, y'all. I have read D for D three times and I think the problem is that she has not read it yet. We have been outside playing for HOURS to get her worn down and it's just not happening.

Help. It's really bad. I don't want to get to "the dog has got to go," because as we know THAT would not go well at all.

She is at work with me now. We have been here seven minutes and she is curled up in her doggie bed fast asleep like an angel.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

I will write more later but the first few months are a nightmare with a new puppy. It is a four hour schedule much like a baby. Do the praise and try cli let training. Doxie dogs are notorious for potty training. Your situation is worse because the puppy is on the house after a loss and they can sense it. I read that they can sense your grief. So get the clicker and for a few weeks do the walk dry very often. She will get the idea. Also restrict he from your bedroom.

Thanks

Awww Rae. First, Here's some and for you!!!

IT WILL GET BETTER!!! I swear it!

Just remember don't beat youself up too much or let the frustartion get you down for long. You're dealing with alot right now. A puppy is literally like having a bomb explode your life apart (sleep deprivation, training, constant supervision, ect..) and you're still going through the grieving process for Duchie.

Savannah is a beautiful and joyful creature who will give you endless reasons to laugh and love you like no other!
    She will also make you want pull you hair out and hit you head against a wall some times too!

You've got lots people who LOVE you and will get you through this! Take in all the advice from books and DLCers and figure what works for YOU and Savannah. Every dog and situation is different so you'll stumble around a bit but you will find something that will work! I did many things different with Cody than I did for Abby and Nathan.

Sounds like you've got a good plan so far (clean up under the bed, prevent her access to that area, praising, regular potty trips, etc....) You are doing fine even though it doesn't feel that way with no sleep and ringing ears!

We're all here for you!!

Kristy
    (Hoomom to Abby, Cody and my beloved Nathan)

Thanks

So sorry things are not going well - time and patience, time and patience. That's why I adopt adult dogs - so I don't have to deal with that. It will happen - time and patience.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

#1 NEVER let her loose in the house. She has to earn that privilege. As everyone knows I don't do puppies, but the young dogs I've had were the same. They dont' get free run of the house until they earn it. And getting the carpet cleaned up is a good idea.

Crate training is a biatch and I"m not that good at it, but I have had better luck with putting the crate next to the bed (or wherever you're going to sleep until she's trained) so that she can see you, you can put your hand down near her and you can squirt her with the squirt bottle if she starts.

Miller was bad. Really bad. Like 2 weeks of screaming for hours bad. The DH slept upstairs during this time. I left him in his crate in the study adjacent to the bedroom. Pebbles wasn't bad, but I trained her younger and put the crate right next to my bed. I think if they can see you it helps.

Like Suzanne says "time and patience" and some take even more time and patience.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I would suggest tethering her to you when she is awake in the house. Just attached a leash to your waist, etc. This way, she can follow you, be with you, but not loose and can't go under the bed. And it allow you to keep an eye on her.

I have no advice as far crate training. In fact, both of mine are not trained. But when Sofie had to be crated at night after her second spaying surgery, I put the crate next to my side of the bed, where she could see me. And it did help. If you are set on having her sleep in another room, once you train her to sleep in the crate next to you, you can try to increase the distance between you and the bed.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

the joy factor for me makes the potty training issues worth it...

but DH is having issues. Me bringing a dog into our home does affect him, and it's not going well.

at all.

Thanks

We posted at the same time. I do understand how your husband feels. You went from quiet dog to a Cujo. It is a huge difference.

How old is she? Maybe time to sign her up for some puppy obedience classes and get her mentally stimulated/exhausted? Or some sort of puppy socialization group?
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Party pants! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3764793

Good thing puppies are SO adorable, cuz this is why many of 'em wouldn't survive to adulthood. Gimme a senior, any day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alfina View Post
    We posted at the same time. I do understand how your husband feels. You went from quiet dog to a Cujo. It is a huge difference.

How old is she? Maybe time to sign her up for some puppy obedience classes and get her mentally stimulated/exhausted? Or some sort of puppy socialization group?
    Olga - you are perceptive as usual and hit the nail on the head. The difference between adult senior hospice doggie and Cujo is overwhelming, even for me.

She is 10 weeks today and we are thinking we'll sign up for the obedience classes that start on the 24th. My friend Kristy who has her sister (the sweet one) and I are planning to go together.

I don't want her sleeping away from me - ideally in the stroller beside the bed. But the screeching, yelping and general "OH HOLY MOTHER OF DOG I AM DYING!" drama is really loud.

If I can get her to sleep through the night quietly, I certainly don't mind to get up once in the night to let her out. I get that she is a puppy and her little bladder just can't hold it and that is fine.

The noise has to stop and the potty training has to get better.

How long a tether do you guys recommend?