Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Party pants! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3764793

Good thing puppies are SO adorable, cuz this is why many of 'em wouldn't survive to adulthood. Gimme a senior, any day.
    I only THOUGHT poor Duchie was high maintenance. I was WRONG.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

To repeat what everyone has said.

1) Block off the area under the bed. #1 priority. If she can't get to it, she can't soil there.

2) Tether. It works. Really it does.

3) Kong with PB at bedtime. You need to make the crate a fun place for her. She could be teething too- so the Kong can help with that. You can not back down on the crate. I know it is easier to just give in, but you have to establish the rules now. If she has back issues down the road (knocking on wood here), you need her to be comfortable in a crated environment.

4) Can you borrow her biological sister for a week or so? She might be missing the companionship and having a warm breathing buddy beside her might quiet her down?!?

5) Earplugs. I can't stress these enough. When Pixel was on lockdown, I had to double up. Earplugs and ear muffs (the big ass hunter kind). You got to sleep. As you react to her screaming, you are re-enforcing the behaviour (I scream, Mommy comes). I totally don't fault you for this, because I have been there - to the point where you could care less as long as they are quiet.

Hang in there!!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Send her off to the army, or French Foreign Legion! They'll train her, and she'll be great when she returns.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duchiesmom View Post
    I only THOUGHT poor Duchie was high maintenance. I was WRONG.
    It really does get better. I can so relate to all that you have said, Theo was exactly the same, but he was sick on top of all that puppy stuff as well, but even sick he was full of spunk, a pain in the butt and had so much energy I didn't know what I was going to do. He was always biting me scratching me, etc. I think all puppies are like that. I agree with what many have said, do not let her have run of the house. Give her a certain area, say the kitchen. Block it off, put down some pee pads and start there. I think its much easier to train a male than a female. I showed Theo the pee pads once, and he never went anywhere else in the house. Mika was so different, she pee'd everywhere, no matter how many times I'd take her out, was much harder with her.
    Crate training is important. Mika howled like a wounded animal when I started her in the crate, so I put it in the room with me where she could see me and she stayed in the crate all night, quiet as can be. Maybe start like that. Savannah is a baby, and she just needs to know your around. Slowly move the crate further and further away.
    Its really hard but I swear it gets better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duchiesmom View Post
    She is 10 weeks today and we are thinking we'll sign up for the obedience classes that start on the 24th. My friend Kristy who has her sister (the sweet one) and I are planning to go together.
    I think wearing her out while she is having fun with other dogs may help.

I don't want her sleeping away from me - ideally in the stroller beside the bed. But the screeching, yelping and general "OH HOLY MOTHER OF DOG I AM DYING!" drama is really loud.
    I literally had Sofie's crate on my nightstand. Maybe try that?

If I can get her to sleep through the night quietly, I certainly don't mind to get up once in the night to let her out. I get that she is a puppy and her little bladder just can't hold it and that is fine.
    If I recall, she never slept through the night and she just plays. So, on top of getting her to sleep you are trying to crate train her. That is 2 tasks at hand. Not easy. Sofie used to wake up every single night at 2am not because she wanted to potty, but she wanted to play. It was a habit that she had for months. I finally one night yelled at her to shut up and ignored her. It took a couple of nights, but she got the message. She sleeps through the night now. Do not give in, or you will reinforce the behavior - I scream and moms comes to play!

How long a tether do you guys recommend?
    Not long enough for her to be able to walk too far away from you or tangle you up around furniture, etc and not too short so that you trip on her.

She sounds like a high energy dog. Are you sure Amy is you friend? Just kidding.

From what I recall, some dogs hold out on pottying outside right away because their owners take them home right after that. So, make sure she gets to play and sniff, etc after she does do potty outside and you don't go right back inside.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    4) Can you borrow her biological sister for a week or so? She might be missing the companionship and having a warm breathing buddy beside her might quiet her down?!?
    or maybe a heating pad if her sister is not available?
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alfina View Post
    I would suggest tethering her to you when she is awake in the house. Just attached a leash to your waist, etc. This way, she can follow you, be with you, but not loose and can't go under the bed. And it allow you to keep an eye on her.

This is the most important thing you can do to help her. Seriously,

As for crating, but her in the stroller next to the bed or in a crate wher eshe can sense you.

Now for the fund part, (NOT), have pity on me I have two 11 week old doxies at the house. They wake me and the entire house up every night around 2 AM.

But they are so stinking cute. Just like you little terror.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with having her next to wherever you sleep during this time. Bogart had never been crate trained and then had back problems. Aaccckkk! I put the crate next to the bed and slept the first couple nights with my hand hanging over the edge and thru the bars of the crate touching him. I also used the Squirt Bottle of Doom. Yelp. Squirt. Yelp. Squirt. When he was quiet, I put my hand down next to him. It worked for him. You might also try some Rescue Remedy. It might help the anxiety.

I'm not sure I'd use a heating pad with a puppy. She might chew on it, but if you have one of those rice filled pads that you heat in the microwave that might help her, too. And definitely try a kong.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

You might have a little Peaches on your hands! Peaches was BAD! BAD! BAD! But she was burned and I felt sorry for her, so I wasn't too tough on her. There were many time where she actually brought me to tears because I was so sleep deprived and frustrated. She was so cute that I made it through though.

Peaches sleeps in bed with us, so I don't have too much advice on the nighttime crate routine. However, I would wear her out as much as you can before bed. Run, run, run! Like Lisa said, I'd also give her a kong to chew on and distract her attention from screaming. I think you've mentioned you have snuggle safe discs...maybe wrap one up and stick that in there so she has something warm to snuggle up with.

I had one heck of a time with Peaches pottying in the house. I think the two most important things are to establish you are in charge and you have to catch her in the act to discipline and take her out immediately.

To get Peaches to do anything, I had to be more stubborn than her. Good luck!!!
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    To get Peaches to do anything, I had to be more stubborn than her. Good luck!!!
    You nailed it there, Tanya. For most dachshunds, I think you have to be more stubborn than they are to get them to do anything
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue