Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Proposed AVMA policy against raw pet food

Thanks

Wow. I am not really sure what to say to all that.

I make my own raw food, so it doesn't really effect me - the funny thing about this, when I switched 5 years ago, my vet was totally opposed to it, and now he has come around and even starting to recommend it

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Sadly, the courses on nutrition given at veterinary schools are often subsidized by one of the large pet food companies. With contaminated food killing pets and the rise of the popularity of raw feeding, I'm sure the pet food companies are hurting. It's their own fault but they are fighting anyway they can without regard to the health of pets only of their pocketbooks.

You have to keep in mind that these are the same people that insisted for years that animals "had" to be vaccinated every year to protect them. It's all about the money.

It doesn't affect me either. My vet was the one that got me started on feeding raw. She's a total proponent of raw feeding and isn't going to change her mind no matter what the AVMA says.
    Last edited by lotsadox; 07-19-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Since I do not feed raw food I really should have no comment. My good friend feeds Raw and without getting into detail had one dog pass from cancer and another had heart issues. They are Dobies. I feed kibble & canned and I think our track records might be similar. So I believe it is a personal preference and if you are careful there should not be a pathogen issue. I believe that Freedom is an issue. I agree that there is too much that the Vets are invested in. Now to board a dog at some vets they now require a flu shot and that is in addition to the botadella inoculation and everything else. Quite frankly I am glad the kennel we use is more animal friendly and just wants the basic vaccines required by law. So when it comes to raw vs cooked or commercial food I say if your dog responds better to raw feed it!
    Last edited by SasatheRusty; 07-19-2012 at 09:45 PM.