Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Savannah Jane is a Very. Good. Dog.

But I'm still having a hard time getting her to sleep at night. Remember - I haven't had a puppy in a looooooong tine. She has her crate by my side of the bed, and the big wire crate is in another room.

She gets sleepy at an appropriate time, and we play fetch the bunny vigorously so she's good and tired.

She's still going to work with me every day and sleeping less and less during the day....

But after she gets her nap out - about 4 hours, she's all done sleeping. She will scream and cry... Not whimper, not bark.. Poor thing just FREAKS out. She will sleep if I get her, go potty, and put her in bed, recliner, or couch with me.

I know that's giving in - I cannot find a place in my home where we can't hear her loud and clear. Earplugs help a little.

If I thought she was just being a diva brat, that would be one thing. But she really sounds terrified.

I'm getting played like the banjo in Deliverance, aren't I?
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

She sounds a lot like my parents Emily Ann. For the first 6 months of her life my dad thought she couldn't be alone so someone was always with her. When she was finally left by herself she freaked out. Maybe that's whats happening with Savannah?
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Puppyhood is like having a baby. I remember when we got Sparky. I was up during the night taking him out at all hours. DH and I felt like new parents. I think it takes a full year for puppies to really start being a dog. We were all trying to figure each other out. My husband joked " you wanted the puppy" although Sparky is the dog of his heart. So although we all kid around about the cute antics of Miss Savannah Jane, she is still a baby girl and tires out her Mudder every day. Even now our doxies will take an opportunity to use a per pad before telling us they have to go out. As for chewing things.... Pups have to be reprimanded and watched. Other than having a nanny for sweet Savannah Jane, we will just have to watch and wait to see that lightbulb turn on!!

Thanks

She is good and sweet and adorable and I love her so... I'm pretty sure she's going to be rotten.

Ok. Is already rotten....

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

My angel in heaven Otto was eight weeks old when I brought him home. I put him in a crate next to my bed and put up with two weeks of crying the minute the lights went out. I was exhausted. I visited a friend of mine who breeds labs and told her what was happening. She told me to get one of those donut beds and a blanket and put it next to me in bed with him in it. Any time he cried (which was rare after that) I could put my hand on his back to reassure him that I was right there. We both slept really well from there on out.

Just saying, maybe he's frightened and needs to be close to you at night.

AND gosh that brings back sweet memories of him. Thank you Rae.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

Awwwww Ellen. I'm glad to hear it brought back happies.

We had the best night ever. I put her in the crate next to the bed and she started freaking out immediately after finishing her Frozen PB Kong.

My sweet, sweet husband said "honey, she's miserable and I think she just wants to be with you."

Then Mr. No Dogs in the Bed himself said "why don't you put her up here with us and see if she'll settle down?"

And after about 15 minutes of exploring and romping, she snuggled up and..... Drumroll please........ WE ALL SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT.

And they all lived happily ever after.
    The end.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

That's great that you got a good night's sleep.

Just remember, if you don't get her crate trained, you could have problems on down the line. And it's harder to crate train the longer you wait.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

yay for a good nights sleep! When I got Rusty he was 3 months old and would not sleep through the night! at all! I had never done crate traning and we tried. The one thing I never thought of at the time was bringing it into our room so on the nights he would not sleep I slept on the couch with him in my arms. But during the day while I was at work, he was in the crate. I dont know if he ever had a fit but it sure did help crate train him even if at night he slept with me. When he turned 1 he was never put in the crate again and gets free roam of the house. When he had his back and neck issues he did get crated again and he loved it.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duchiesmom View Post
    But I'm still having a hard time getting her to sleep at night.
    I'm getting played like the banjo in Deliverance, aren't I?
    Sounds like it too me but you have go tot her
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

She's totally playing you but so darned cute doing it.

Abby was really good about sleeping as a puppy until...........at about 5 months Abby (and now Cody too) decided that she did not want to sleep after 3am. I ended up sleeping on the sofa for TWO months because I AM BOSS and PUPPY will NOT tell ME what to do!!!

Needless to say one night I just put her in bed with me and TADA!! Sleeps soundly. With Cody I gave up without the sofa sleeping. I just put him in bed with me when I was confident of no potty accidents.

Kristy
    (Hoomom to Abby, Cody and my beloved Nathan)