Thanks

Default "babysitting" for the weekend

Back in July I was hunting for Eastern Swallowtail caterpillars, and only found one. Very unusual. I gave it to my neighbor to feed and watch grow, and it's in the chrysalis stage. They are away for the weekend, so I'm keeping an eye on it should it decide to emerge as a butterfly. It will likely stay over winter like this to emerge in the spring. If it doesn't hatch, it will go in the garage so it stays frozen for the winter. What do you think? Pretty awesome how these things work.

The caterpillar ends up quite large and the butterfly is sizable as well. Very easy to do if you want to next summer. Giving it shelter means you get to watch the process, cool!, and no birds will eat it. lol

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

Very cool. I've never babysat such a thing! We will welcome your baby, when it (um) hatches. You think it's a blue ST? Down here we have mostly yellow ST, fewer blue ST. They both do like our butterfly bushes. ST are pretty.

Thanks

That's the only type that hatched for me, with a bit of variation. Not sure if the variation is the difference of male/female or a slightly different variety.

~Penny~

Thanks

It is a very exciting thing to be a part of. Sometimes as adults we forget that it is the little things that can have a big impact on our lives. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks

It's been nice to share with neighbors over the years. The grandmas have really enjoyed doing that for their grandchildren over the summer months. I've been to a number of 'maiden voyages'! lol

~Penny~

Thanks

Coolness! Does it have a name?
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

This is about 20 minutes from us. It is the absolutely most amazing place! Nothing more joyous than to watch a butterfly land on the finger of a 3 yr old as you quietly stand and wait!!!
    They do an annual release every year in September that attracts tons of folks!!! Sooo cool to see all those butterflies flying away!
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mama S. View Post
    This is about 20 minutes from us. It is the absolutely most amazing place! Nothing more joyous than to watch a butterfly land on the finger of a 3 yr old as you quietly stand and wait!!!
    They do an annual release every year in September that attracts tons of folks!!! Sooo cool to see all those butterflies flying away!
    I would love to visit that place! Often. Lucky you!

~Penny~