Hybrid View

Thanks

Default A parasite spread by cats

It's good to know what's going on ..I haven't heard anything about this! I know many have multiple pets and will share this info.

A parasite spread by cats is infecting 1,000 new people every day in Britain – about 350,000 a year – according to an official assessment of the risks posed by toxoplasma, which can cause serious illness and has been tentatively linked with schizophrenia and other psychotic disturbances.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-8102860.html

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

That is nothing new. Toxoplasmosis can cause problems with pregnancy, that is why it is advised to pregnant women not to scoop cat litter. It is also advised to people with immune system problems not scoop the cat litter, etc.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

A 1000 new people every day seems to be a shocking number to me.
    Is that to be expected?

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

Wow, more FUD. More irrational fear of cats. Next they'll demand killing ALL cats EVERYWHERE. Um, for human safety. Just in case. But it sells newspapers! Ka-ching! I hate humans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Wow, more FUD. More irrational fear of cats. Next they'll demand killing ALL cats EVERYWHERE. Um, for human safety. Just in case. But it sells newspapers! Ka-ching! I hate humans.
    Ditto, and more Ditto. You're right it is selling papers, and definitely going to send people into a complete panic. Oh yeah and don't eat rare lamb. I've had cats for many years and have not had one problem. At present they are trying to kill all the Pit Bulls in the world, I guess next will be the cats..... NOT MINE!!!!!
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

This is very old news (not your stuff, Penny, but the fact that toxiplasmosis is dangerous). I've heard about this all my life...why you need to keep the litter box clean, and not handle cat poop when pregnant. ITA with everyone...sensationalism to sell newspapers. Just like eating beef can cause mad cow disease for everyone, instead of the 2 people it actually did affect (and which they couldn't prove definitively). Man, I hate the media sometimes (one of the reasons I left!!!).
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Media sensationalism. We're in the midst of it here. Hurricane season. We're all gonna die! Every year they claim it's going to be the worst year ever.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    Media sensationalism. We're in the midst of it here. Hurricane season. We're all gonna die! Every year they claim it's going to be the worst year ever.
    Ah yes the media.... Don't forget the end of the world is coming on Dec. 21, 2012.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

How do they know it's the parasite making cat owners crazy not just their cats? I have two indoor only cats and grew up with cats and yes, they can drive you crazy at times. But, one of my favorite sounds is my cat's purr. Ever since Tigger had his "brush with death(in his words I'm sure)" aka surgery to remove the begnin tumor from his leg this spring he has been very loving and wants to sit next to me all the time now. They may make me crazy but at least I'm happy.
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Patt View Post
    Ah yes the media.... Don't forget the end of the world is coming on Dec. 21, 2012.
    Oh, doG, are we doing that AGAIN?
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue