Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Taz to the Rescue

I met Taz when my cousin worked for a local shelter. She brought in a mini Dachshund and called me to foster until they found his owner ... or I got to keep him!! When I walked into the office to get him, they put him up on the counter (about chest high) and he went crazy kissing me and wagging his whole little body. So I aptly called him Taz, after the Tasmanian Devil on Bugs Bunny. He seemed relatively young and quite the charmer. He also was quite the hunter. We live on a creek and rats and mice are plenty. He would hunt the mice in my husband's shed. It scared me to death the first time he did it. You should have seen the little guy take off when he heard one scurrying. He would get through spaces I never thought he could chasing the little sucker. In the end, we would hear a screech and a yelp. A moment later he came out and dropped the dead mouse at our feet! Yuck!

At the time, we had an outside cat that adopted us when she was about to give birth. Our house is on piers and she had the babies under the house. When she decided to introduce us, she brought kitten number one onto the porch. I got all excited. So Taz, so eager to please, took off under the house! He came running out a moment later with another kitten he was holding in his mouth by the scruff of the neck! I took it and he took off again! He brought out four kittens to her one! Mama Cocoa didn't have to do a thing except clean doggie slobber off her babies! He was so proud! He got lots of love from me, of course.

The good news (and bad news for our family) is that Taz belonged to someone else, who had been out of town. Upon their return, they learned that their sweet little Doxie had gotten away from the (really bad) pet sitter. He went back home but we were forever changed. Some of your pics remind me of little Taz - pretty little red darling - and make me a little sad.

Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, LA
    Mom of 5 humans, Grandma of 1 boy and 2 sweet Doxies (Sam & Sassy)

Thanks

Awwwwwwwwwww - what a sweet story! I had a feral cat who had kittens under our house and my Jack nearly took the house down to get to them - he killed one! He HATES feral cats. How sweet that Taz rescued the kitties!!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

now that's an awesome story!!! What a little sweetie...and in the end, you were sort of fostering him. I just bet his people were eternally grateful to you!!
    Last edited by Alex's Mom; 09-14-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Thank you for fostering him until his other hoomans came back. That story made me smile, but I know it must have hurt to have to give him back.

Taz is a great name!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Thank you for fostering him until his other hoomans came back. That story made me smile, but I know it must have hurt to have to give him back.

Taz is a great name!!
    It was terrible giving him up. He was a a great dog! (Although he pee'd when he got excited ... every time he greeted us!)

My son was looking through pics on here yesterday and told me to close the window because he saw someone's doxie that reminded him of Taz.
    Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Mom of 5 humans and 2 Doxies (Sam & Sassy), 1 Canaan (Chip) grandmom of 1 boy & 1 Lab puppy (Tank)

Thanks

what a wonderful story! thank you for sharing it with us. I was on the edge of my seat when you said he would hunt mice and then you said he would go get the kittens, I was waiting to hear he thought they were mice and well, you know "gulp" Whew! Im happy to hear he was just helping the kittens get on the porch
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

What a sweet little guy!

At least he just dropped the mice at your feet. Cash caught a "critter" in our garage and took it in the doggie door and right up to the middle of the bed.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    What a sweet little guy!

At least he just dropped the mice at your feet. Cash caught a "critter" in our garage and took it in the doggie door and right up to the middle of the bed.
    He LOVED going in the shed to hunt! Very often I would walk outside after his morning adventures in the yard and find a mouse on the steps. He didn't want to eat them, just kill 'em! LOL
    Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Mom of 5 humans and 2 Doxies (Sam & Sassy), 1 Canaan (Chip) grandmom of 1 boy & 1 Lab puppy (Tank)

Thanks

Laurie, that is a beautiful story. Taz was one lucky dog to find you and then get to be reunited with his family. He is obviously forever in your hearts. Bittersweet... I'm sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    What a sweet little guy!

been there done that got the possum

Our Stinker would steal kittens - develop milk and nurse them!!!! She soo wanted to be a Mama but was spayed at puppyhood and never had any. Doc said her heart didn't know to tell her body not to produce milk!We had 2 cats that had kittens a few days apart - she would nanny them when Mama's wanted a break! We never knew which kittens would be found where so we just put them all in a great big wicker basket and Stinker was in her glory!!!
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!