Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Raw Food Diet Cost and Misc Questions

I am thinking this direction ... noticed someone said it was less expensive too. That surprised me. The biggest reason I have yet to bring it up to my husband was money. Can someone give me feedback here??

We have several deer processors in the area and I could probably get scraps from the meat section at our local supermarket. (Helps to know the manager.)

Does anyone add vitamins and/or fish oil to their babies' diets? I am sure that is the reason for the salmon and sardines.

One more thing I really need help on is that although my Sam is strong and muscular - Sassy is a little puny. She is not a big eater (although she begs constantly). I don't know if she is so skinny because of her age (just under a year) or she was used to scraps at her former home. Any information provided would be appreciated.
    Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Mom of 5 humans and 2 Doxies (Sam & Sassy), 1 Canaan (Chip) grandmom of 1 boy & 1 Lab puppy (Tank)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I feed the raw pre-mix and have for over 15 years so I'm not sure about cost comparison since I have no idea how much kibble costs. I doubt that raw premix is cheaper than kibble as far as straight food costs. However, I do feel that my dogs are healthier and I have fewer vet bills. It would probably be cheaper to make your own raw food. If you do, just make sure to do some research and use some of the good basic recipes (I used Dr. Pitcairn's when I made my own food but they may me dated now, I don't know) so that your dogs get everything they need in the right proportions. You might even want to have blood work done on your dogs after 6 months of raw feeding to make sure that you have things right for your dogs.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Where do you get your pre-mix?
    Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Mom of 5 humans and 2 Doxies (Sam & Sassy), 1 Canaan (Chip) grandmom of 1 boy & 1 Lab puppy (Tank)

Thanks

I buy it at a local store. We're lucky and have several in the area. Health food markets here are also starting to carry it.

I feed Primal or Bravo. You might look at their websites and see if they are sold in your area.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I am also learning about feeding raw. I havent totally transitioned to feeding all raw but I did find at Petsmart this brand called Stewart Raw Nationals. Its frozen portions shapped in a heart. You thaw out what you need and feed it. I still feed our boys Wellness but give that to them more for a treat which they seriously LOVE!!!!

www.stewartpet.com
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

We feed raw meat. It's ordinary meat from human grocery stores. Not premix. Nothing ground up. Whatever is on sale for under $1 or $2 per lb. Large variety of meats to choose. We re-wrap & freeze many (2 lb?) chunks. We thaw 1 chunk at a time, in a bowl in fridge. Each morning, I just cut off approx 7oz slab of fresh meat & just hand it to Buddy, and half that for Holly (a mini). No fuss.

Very best info is "rawfeeding" yahoo group. Join up, follow their daily discussions (emailed daily), and maybe ask your own Q's:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding

Raw meat costs same as premium kibble (eg, TOTW) if you shop wisely. But then we get healthier dogs, and fewer vet visits, so overall raw is cheaper. No more junk food. No more allergies! And no more dogfood recall issues! If you can get deer meat or scraps for cheaper, bonus!

Oh, and for treats, we dehydrate raw liver. Supplements (eg, fish oil) are not really needed, but some folks do.

Thanks

I don't think you can give them chicken bones. They could splinter in their throat. Forgive me if I sound overprotective. I'm sure you probably know this already. I also worry about salmonella as dogs can get this as well as people. I share your concerns about the grandchildren.

Thanks

You can give raw chicken bones. It's cooked bones that splinter.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Angela is right. Raw chicken bones are fine. Cooked are not. Dogs are highly resistant to salmonella. As long as the meat is fresh, you're fine.

When I give mine raw meaty bones, I feed them outside to avoid the bloody icky stuff on my floors. If I had children around I'd certainly feed them in crates without pads so you could just wipe them out.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I was feed raw chicken and had no issues, but I always fed them in their crates. Their teeth went from bad to really nice in about a month from feeding prey raw. However, Pixel was constantly chocking on the raw, he would take too big pieces and would make me really nervous, so that is why I switched to making their food. However, the raw prey was a million times better for their teeth and their poop was almost non-existent.

For your foster, go raw, you will just get him in the best shape for his forever family. You can explain how he is fed and if they would like to continue great, but if they are going to switch to kibble, here are some high quality kibbles......it will at least open a dialogue about food with his forever parents.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI