Thread: Poo question!

Thanks

Default Poo question!

Just started my doxie's raw diet Monday. I am probably over-thinking this but I want to make sure all is good. Sassy's stool was noticeably less (good) but seemed harder. Is that normal? Do I look for a consistency with each dog? Ivan, you said you were a poo-watcher (LOL) so help me out here! I know bone can be decreased if necessary but I don't know what is normal for raw feeding.
    Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Mom of 5 humans and 2 Doxies (Sam & Sassy), 1 Canaan (Chip) grandmom of 1 boy & 1 Lab puppy (Tank)

Thanks

That is bang on correct. It will be harder and smaller. If your pup has any anal gland issues they will be gone or noticeable less in the upcoming months.

Teeth and anal glands were amazing improved when I did prey raw.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Mine don't seem to have that much harder poo, but it is definitely much less. And Lisa's right, I haven't had to express anal glands since I've been feeding raw. When I got Miller I had to express his anal glands after about a month and then a couple months later. I haven't had to do them since. For me, that's a huge plus.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Yup, that's right. Less poop. Some days none. Harder is OK. Don't sweat this. There's LOTS of leeway. It varies predictably along with what they eat. You'll see.

Eating lotsa bone sometimes yields hard ashen (whitish) lumps that crumble like dry soil, which is perfectly OK, and just tells us to cut back on bone. All liver or eggs can sometimes make things runny for a bit until they get used to eating it. Lotsa red meat & organs yields dark (almost black) softer yet firm stools, much like wild fox poop. That's the new normal. Overall ratio is just 10% bone, which is very little, although they really enjoy chewing 'em.

Fun to watch 'em eat, isn't it? Holly can take up to an hour to polish off a 2" long turkey neck, or a pork rib. Chewing cleans her teeth. Buddy takes 5 minutes max, cuz he's a mad gulper, so sometimes we leave his meat partly frozen, to slow him. Are you starting out by weighing the portions, or just eyeballing?

Thanks

it is pretty neat watching them. Fascinating really. I pulled my husband off the lawnmower to watch the Canaan eat. Both of my dachshunds are much more excited about eating now. That is what is so cool about it. I have not weighed it unless it had bone. I eyeball it based on what I know of a 3-oz piece of meat from my dieting!! LOL But Sassy and my Canaan need to put on a little weight. This also works better cause I don't have to worry about Sam eating Sassy's food too.

One of you said that their weight would fluctuate faster on raw. So I am watching that too. Reading about some dogs anticipating time to eat - I have not been on a super-regimented schedule. I am feeding them twice a day rather than three. I will probably stick to that. They will follow me around the kitchen if I take anything out of the freezer! LOL
    Laurie Landry
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Mom of 5 humans and 2 Doxies (Sam & Sassy), 1 Canaan (Chip) grandmom of 1 boy & 1 Lab puppy (Tank)