Thanks

Default A different poo question

My Hazel LOVES to eat her own poo & if I don't get it picked up right away, she'll take care of it. I'm feeding her Orijen kibble with a little Stella & Chewey freeze-dried raw food. She eats twice a day. Someone told me that I need to add water to the kibble & that will fill her up & she won't eat the poo. I'm not so sure about that. Does anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks

There are many reasons why dogs eat poo. Has Hazel always done this or is it a new thing? Could be some medical reason, has she had a check up lately at the vets? Hazel could be eating poop because of parasites or worms. They can suck nutrients out of your dog, making her hungry. If Hazels dog food lacks nutrients, might be another reason why she eats poo.Your dog could be trying to get "food" with nutrients any way possible. Have you tried gradually to change her food? First I'd make sure there is no medical reason as to why she is doing this and then you could always try pineapple. A few pieces in her meal for a few days usually works. It will make her poo less appealing. I can't remember why exactly, I am sure someone here could explain how exactly it works.

Thanks

My doxie Tristan was a poo-eater. I think sometimes they start young and then it's just kind of a habit. We just tried to pick everything up before he could get to it. The pineapple is probably worth a try. There is also a product called "Forbid" you can sprinkle on the food... or maybe spraying some Bitter Apple on the droppings.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Cash eats poo. Dog poo, rabbit poo, probably any poo. Of course, Cash also eats anything so it's hard to know. He's always on a diet because he's my little chunky monkey and could be just supplementing his regular meals.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I saw Odie eat poo once, I yelled and I've never seen him do it again. Baxter plays with frozen poo in the winter time!!! Like its a toy, tossing it chasing it. Weird dog.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

From everything I've read and heard, some dogs do it and some don't. I don't think there's really a logical reason for it, and other things I've read tell me that pineapple and other additives don't work - just pick it up ASAP so it's not there to snack on! I've only had one poo eater, luckily. It looks awful but I don't think it hurts them. I don't think there's any way to break them of it, either, so I just let them be if they have that nasty habit. But no doggie kisses from THAT dog!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Hazel has done it for as long as I can remember. When we're outside, it's not an issue. Only when she does it inside. Sometimes I can sense when she's done it. It gets really quiet like when you have kids & you know they're doing something bad because it's so quiet. I will try the pineapple & see if that helps. Thank you!
    Kathy

Thanks

Good info. We have run across that also from time to time.