Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lili (again)

Thanks

hello all,

Sorry I didn't give an update yesterday. My mom took my sis and I up to Sedona for the day and I didn't get a chance to come online.

The vet student said that the Pepcid has been helping. Lili is eating and not vomiting She also said that they've stopped the rimadyl for now, though. I wish they hadn't stopped it, but she said that the surgeon will determine when we should put her back on.

Yesterday when she called she said that Lili's walking had continued to improve -- the one leg was doing less hopping (or something like that), which was good. She also said that from here on out her improvement won't be so drastic (partly because it's been so good so far).

But she's all set to go home with Jesse tomorrow! They said they'll do a full write up of instructions. She's expected to be on crate rest for at least two weeks, but they want us to continue the therapy that she's getting.

I'm so glad she'll be going home, though I know she'll be disappointed not to see me. And I'm sad I'll be missing her coming home too. But I'll get to see her in a week, and that will have to do.
    Opaleyz, mom to Lili & Jasper - Sis to Gabby Auntie to Chloe & Gretta & Lexie

Thanks

What a wonderful update! As for crate rest, I'd do at least 6 weeks just to be safe. They don't lose muscle mass that badly and are able to recover it quickly, so that's not an issue, IMO. Of course, therapy will help with the muscle mass issue . . . but 2 weeks of crate rest? NO WAY! Vets never seem to do the safer, conservative thing - most folks I know who had back surgery on their furkids did at least 6 weeks! Better to take it nice and slow and allow the back to heal properly - don't need any setbacks. Sending recovery ! Keep us posted as you can.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Laika's surgeon said 2 weeks in the crate too. I did 4, then crated her when I wasn't home for quite awhile. When she went in to have her staples out at 2 weeks post op he said she could be out of the crate and I said I was going to do 2 more weeks, he was suprised but said it was fine. I guess most people don't want to do it or something. But of course took her outside on a leash and all that too. She was walking well at 2 weeks post op. Too well...I didn't trust her to not get up on something when I wasn't watching and she was good in the crate. Because of the other dogs, I think she felt vulnerable for awhile until she was 100% and being in the crate made her feel safer.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Great news. Let us know what meds they are sending her home on. I was just curious what they do with post op dogs. Have a good visit with your family!

Thanks

She's on her way home!

DH texted to say he'd picked her up and they're on their way home. But I have to wait for the phone call update until he's home. His phone needs a new battery and keeps dying on him, so he'll have to wait until he can plug it in.

(Funny but not funny story: he ordered a new battery a couple weeks ago. When it hadn't arrived after awhile & he checked the routing, the company said they sent to CA! An address we had six years ago! Have no idea how that happened, since he confirmed the address with Sprint (who has our current address on file anyway). DH thinks UPS saw the old address in their system and sent it there instead. We've never had good luck w/ UPS, and this is just another point against them. )
    Opaleyz, mom to Lili & Jasper - Sis to Gabby Auntie to Chloe & Gretta & Lexie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I'm so glad she's on her way home!

I've shipped with UPS a lot and they don't address the packages. They are addressed by the sender. Make sure that Sprint has your current address for billing and shipping.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue