Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

My town (Hamden) has been declared the 'winner' with the highest snow totals in the tri-state area: 40 inches. I live at the intersection of two roads: Evergreen and Dickerman. Evergreen has one lane cleared. Dickerman remains, as of today, Monday, 2/11, under three feet of snow. Hamden and New Haven are disaster areas. Yale closed today - only the third time in 30 years (with the first two being because of Sandy in the fall) and it looks like we will be closed again tomorrow (yay for adult snow days!). The Cpt. went to work today and took our SUV...he said this area is a mess. He tried to get money at the bank: ATM is out of cash (he leaves far too early for the bank to be open). Went to get gas: Gas station is out of gas. Crazy.

AND, those of you on Facebook probably saw this but in true Robyne style, I locked myself out of the house this morning. In the pouring rain. With the dogs. We have a door blocker thing in our slider. I've told the Cpt time and time again to take it completely out of the track of the slider because one day, it will fall and lock me out. And today it did. So, I had to hike each dog individually around the corner and down Dickerman (which, as I mentioned, is under 3 feet of snow) to my neighbor's house while wearing my pajamas and the Cpt's boots (obviously too big for me). Thank doG my neighbor was home AND outside when I got locked out. I need to do something to thank her...just have to come up with an idea. Anywho...If anyone wants any snow...come on up to Hamden, CT. We have plenty and are happy to share. It is currently pouring rain and now they are calling for the possibility of another snow on Wed/Thursday and over the weekend.

Can I be considered an honorary Canadian now?!
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks

You are totally an honoUrary Canadian. That is a lot of snow. We got nailed too and Friday was a snow day for us. But we didn't get quite that much. That is a lot of snow.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Last night we had thunder snow and it HAILEDThunder snow??? Does it thunder and snow at the same time(guess the name says it all but I thought I'd ask)Thats something I have never experienced

Thanks

WOW! Lots more snow then we have. That is usually what it looks like here. It rained last week, and on the weekend, and there is hardly any snow left. I can even see the grass.

Thanks

Yep, it's a rare but it happens. It's wild to see bright flashes of lightning followed by thunder while it is snowing. And then to have hail too? Crazy.

Per the National Geographic website, "For thundersnow to occur, the air layer closer to the ground has to be warmer than the layers above, but still cold enough to create snow—a very precise circumstance.
    ... thundersnow events were also coupled with "pretty decent snowfall rates," at the rapid clip of more than two inches (five centimeters) an hour, Silverman said.

Heavier snowfall is usually linked to thundersnow, both experts agreed."

And now we know!

Quote Originally Posted by bittyup View Post
    Last night we had thunder snow and it HAILEDThunder snow??? Does it thunder and snow at the same time(guess the name says it all but I thought I'd ask)Thats something I have never experienced
    Robyne - mom to Bayley & Braydi
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Thanks

Wink

Wow. How interesting. This year has certainly been filled with perfects storms and rare circumstances. Remember when the east coast just heard about everyone elses bad storms? Glad ya got back in the house by the way.