Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Adventure in Dog Walking

I have been bad about walking my dogs what with the virus earlier this year and the bad reaction to the stuff for the virus and then car shows and then the sinus infection . . . the list is endless and worthless. So, I decided we've got to get back to doing some walking (both for them and for me) and we started last night.

The golf course was closed. It's usually closed on Mondays but was open because of the holiday so closed on Tuesday so we could go out there before dark. When I took Cash and Miller out, the sprinklers were on in the direction we usually go so I took them around the duck pond in the opposite direction. Cash was all excited and way out in front of me with his tail wagging back and forth like a banner. Miller, with his impaired vision was behind me sniffing everything and wandering along. He does amazingly well but is slower because he has to sniff to find his way and gets distracted by all the smells. I was looking at Cash and telling him to slow down so Miller could catch up when I feel a tug on Miller's leash. I thought he had just stopped so I pulled on it and turned to look at him. His butt was about 3 inches from the water in the pond! Evidently, he got too close and slid over the edge. Luckily, he was right next to one of the stakes they put around the pond (for some mysterious reason) with his leash around the stake so I could use that for leverage to pull and help him scamper up and over the edge.

Life is such an adventure with dachshunds! Thankfully, Scooter's walk was very drama free. With only the distraction of a dog on the course and some ducks quacking at him.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Poor Miller but I cant help but LOL!

Walks with Dachshunds are always an adventure. Never boring!
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Love it!!! Poor Miller...(I think the stakes show where out of bounds around a hazard is in case their balls land there.) Love it!!!!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Count your blessings - you didn't end up with a wet dog!!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Glad y'all had fun zooming around the golf course. Penalty stroke for OOB! Good thing you & that stake prevented Miller from going too far out of bounds.

Fwiw, red stake in golf means "Lateral Water Hazard" (ie, big water) where golfers can't just drop ball behind it to resume play, whereas non-red stake means OK to do so (eg, small water).

How is Miller at swimming? Or, how is Miller at panic? Were the Canada Goose babies out already? Starting to see lots of 'em up here. Are Cash & Scoots gentle with da goose bebes?

Thanks

Most doxies really are interested in the quacking ducks. Surprised they did not go after them.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

The only water Miller's ever been in is to wade in the gutter or in Scooter's little pool so about 6 inches is the max. No swimming involved. I figured I would have ended up reeling him in with the extendable leash until he was within grasp and grabbing the hug-a-dox seat belt loop to get him out. This may have also involved me getting wet. With slimy pond water.

There was something out on the golf course quacking/honking but it was dusky and I couldn't see what it was. We mainly have ducks out there. They let them alone until there gets to be too many of them and they start wandering around the neighborhood and then they get rid of them. Between that and the drought 2 years ago, we don't have many ducks left. If there are ducks within reach, Cash is on them. Another reason to keep him on a leash.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue