View Poll Results: How fit's your doxie?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Underweight

0 0%
  • Perfect: not skinny, not fat

7 77.78%
  • Normal

1 11.11%
  • A little chunky

1 11.11%
  • A fat little sausage

0 0%

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default How fit is your doxie?

How does everyone else keep their Doxie's weight? I keep Nola fit, muscled and healthy. Not too thin, not overweight. She's my first Doxie, and I'm determined to do everything "right" for her (extensive training, having stairs and ramps, keeping her lean and healthy, ect). Here she is:
    (she's self stacking; I haven't set her up)

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
    http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com

Thanks

I have 4 so it is hard to answer. Pepsi is a little chunky butt. Pogo is perfect, but he photographs fat, but seriously he is perfect. Pixel is perfect to a chunky depending on the day. P'nut is skinny to normal so that is what I went with.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I really couldn't answer because I have 3 and they are different.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

James has been fighting weight issues since he arrived almost 5 years ago. He lost the 10 lbs he needed to that first year (and Jules, his late sister, lost 9!), but he's gained about 3 back, and that's where he stays. At this point in his life (close to the end), esp. with the back issues and his heart, I swing between keeping an eagle eye on him, and letting him have some treats (*ahem* there might be the occasional tidbit that "falls" to the floor from his mom's plate ). He looks chunkier than he actually is. I like to keep a little extra on seniors, because if (when!) something goes wrong, they go downhill SO fast. Been there...esp with Alex and Wen.

I'd say your little girl is in good trim, Amanda. She sure is a cutie!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

The vets always comment how good mine look. It's important to me that my dogs don't get overweight. HOWEVER, I have to say it's easy with them and it's not due to a lot of exercise. Angel is genetically lean and muscular, and although Cassie would cheerfully eat her way into a stupor on a daily basis, as long as I don't let her do that , she also stays at a good weight easily.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Savannah needs to lose a little. Can't quite see a rib. She's all muscle for sure, but she's one of those who truly believes she's always starving. She likes her meals at 5, both a.m. And p.m. Which is a bit of a chore for mom.

She's not getting too much food, but the bloody heat is keeping us indoors more than usual so less romping in the yard.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duchiesmom View Post
    ..., but she's one of those who truly believes she's always starving.
    What?!? You mean there are dachsies who DON'T think that they're permanently starved?!? Can't say I've ever met one!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    What?!? You mean there are dachsies who DON'T think that they're permanently starved?!? Can't say I've ever met one!
    Meet Axel. He's just not all that interested in food. I had to convince him that cheese is good! He stays nice and trim (similar to the pictures at the beginning of this post). I really think he is more of a sight hound than a scent hound.

I DID have three fat dachsies at one time and I just put them on reduced kibble and walks every day and they all reduced down to a nice weight. More trouble getting me to diet than the dogs.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    Miller isn't as food motivated as Cash. I firmly believe that Cash would eat until he popped. But that being said, he does like his dinner and treats and doesn't miss many.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Jack is muscular and NOT fat, although his photos probably make him look overweight - he doesn't have the typical dachsie build - he's more dense consistently from shoulder to hip. He doesn't have that slim waist that so many dachsies have - he's a tweenie, but I don't think that matters. I am VERY conscientious about their food intake! Jack's already had back surgery once, and I sure don't want to repeat that again!!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.