Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default 13 and Still Hunting . . .

Cash is annoyed with me because I haven't posted about this yet. Cash has had a big hunting season. So far the kills include 2 baby birds which I found on his bed in the kitchen, one mouse left on the rug for me to almost walk on (aaaaccckkkk!), one rat that his Dad flushed out from under the easy lift in the driveway and he tried to bring in the house and one rat that he left inside the doggie door in the back hallway/utility room for me to find as I was going out to start my car! We've been having a huge spate of "critters" coming into the yard. My friend says it's because it's been so dry. I don't really know. But I dread the winter which usually the time we have problems with the critters coming into the yard. If the summer has been this bad, I can't even imagine what the winter will be like.

Cash has been on critter patrol this morning. He just came in to see me all wet from being under the bushes. I hope I don't find any dead things in the house
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Great! Cash is a born hunter, an intrepid tracker, and handy mouser/ratter that'll keep your home safe from intruders. Gotta like that! We need Cash's talents over here. Curious that he doesn't know to eat his kills. Do the other furkids eat 'em?

Thanks

None of my "hunters" have eaten their kill. One of my dachsies would bring in dead rats and put them in the middle of my bed, to show me what a good boy he was. (I later discovered the rat nest under my hot tub.) He never ate them. Jack's only killed a kitten (unfortunately) and I wouldn't let him eat it so I don't know if he has that propensity. I don't think they normally eat their kill, do they? Maybe birds. A foster I had attacked a guinea which was severely injured and had to be destroyed, but she didn't have it long enough to eat it. I suppose if they were hungry enough they'd eat their kill.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

None of mine have ever eaten their kills. My friend's schnauzers swallow mice whole! Blech. But Cash just does the classic dachshund grab it by the back and shake it once and kill it. Then he guards it for a while and then loses interest since it won't run anymore. If they were hungry enough they probably would but since Cash isn't known to EVER miss a meal, I doubt that he's that hungry.

Suzanne, Cash once took a fresh killed critter in and left it in the middle of the bed for me. He was sitting by it so proud when I came in the room. "Look what I brought you, Mom"

I'm pretty impressed that at 13 years old he's still an avid hunter and catcher.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Very...um....impressive indeed!!! Now if he'd just dispose of them politely, all would be good!

The only thing James has ever hunted is his ball and his new bobo Fred!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Cash, Cash, Cash, what is Muttter to do with you? We know you are a brave hunter and you are defending your home, however ...... please leave them outside.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Proud and disgusted all at the same time...way to go, Cash!
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks

For obvious reasons, there are no existing pics of his exploits. He's also annoyed about that.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I will echo Tanya's sentiment. Go Cash!

Thanks

Go Cash!!!
    The great hunter!!!

Mom to Dachshunds: Pippit, IzzyBean and Calli