Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Rikka

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

Default Missing Rikka

This has been a really tough/horrible four months since Rikka's untimely (she was only 9) and traumatic death. I can't even drive past the place where she passed on the way to the eVet without balling my eyes out. And it only seems to be getting worse.

I have talked to friends and family about how I feel, and even though they are very sympathetic, they just don't understand the bond between a "heart" dachsie and their person. You all do!

I LOVE Axel so much, but it is not the same.

While going through some quilting supplies under my bed, I came across a ziplock bag with fabric and a design I made many years ago for an applique quilt of the picture of Rikka in my signature below! And it felt good to see it. So I thought I would put together the quilt and maybe work through some of my grief at the same time. Combining these two things that I really love might help me heal.

Will keep you all posted with how it is going.

Going to wipe my eyes off now . . .
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

There are dogs and then there are heart dogs. We LOVE the dogs, and we enjoy their company, take good care of them, and meet their needs. But those heart dogs... wow. Their loss is like ripping guts out.

I'm so sorry for your pain, Ellen.
    Last edited by Rae; 10-11-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

That'd make an awesome quilting project. Hope it helps sew a mend in your torn heart since Rikka passed away. Heart dogs are very special.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Aw, Sweetie...I think that's an awesome way to work through it. It's five years today since I lost Alex, and my heart still hurts to think of her. Believe me, we totally get this, and hurt right along with you. So many for your poor heart.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I do applaud you for working on the quilt and hope it helps. I am planning to finally do my Duchie scrapbook this winter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I made a quilt after Pebbles died. Her death was tough on me and it did help me work thru a lot of my grief. I was very disappointed when I showed it to some quilters I knew and they were sort of dismissive of it as not being good enough. It was about the 3rd quilt I'd ever made. I still think it looks pretty good and love it because it's Pebbles
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

:( (((hugs)))
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    I made a quilt after Pebbles died. Her death was tough on me and it did help me work thru a lot of my grief. I was very disappointed when I showed it to some quilters I knew and they were sort of dismissive of it as not being good enough. It was about the 3rd quilt I'd ever made. I still think it looks pretty good and love it because it's Pebbles
    You have the right idea. A quilt to celebrate the love of another being (human or animal) is a beautiful thing no matter how it comes out. Those quilters should have understood that a quilt is a piece of art and it should evoke a feeling . . . who cares how good it is.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doxyzoo View Post
    You have the right idea. A quilt to celebrate the love of another being (human or animal) is a beautiful thing no matter how it comes out. Those quilters should have understood that a quilt is a piece of art and it should evoke a feeling . . . who cares how good it is.
    Yes, they should have. I found out after that they were a very snobbish group and I pretty much just left them alone, which is what most everyone did with them.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I posted almost the exact same thing except I used the word b!tches and my comment poofed. Probably operator error. It was from your heart and it was important. That matters much more to people who have hearts than perhaps the mathematical perfection of those bazillion tiny stitches.

Eff em!