Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Mom says play with me?

Alrighty. So Elliott is not a player. Any tips? He got a bobo a few weeks ago and chases the other dogs who play at the dog park but that's it. Any ideas how to make him play and enjoy his sweet self?

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

In my experience some dogs are players, and others are lovers . My first dachsie Maxe had absolutely no interest in toys whatsoever. In fact, I got Alex when Maxe was 9, and Alex's very first toy was Maxe's puppy nylabone (Yes, I'm a hoarder!) . Alex would occasionally chase a ball, and loved to shred a stuffie, but she wasn't much into to toys either with the exception of a nylabone, which she loved to chew. Wen had no idea what playing or toys were because he spent most of his life in a crate in a garage before he came to me. He tried to copy James playing once or twice, but just didn't get it. James was really the only one who liked toys, and his preference was his ball (so much so that I've set one next to his urn ). Try him with a ball and see if he'll chase it. But as I say, he may just not be into toys.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I have four and none are players. They are all chewers, love kongs etc, but they destuff toys and are over it.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I have four and none are players. They are all chewers, love kongs etc, but they destuff toys and are over it.
    That's my 3 exactly! Scooter used to chase a ball once in a while when he was younger, but now he just looks at me like "You threw it out there, lady. You go get it"

I agree with Paula. Some just don't play. They have other things that they enjoy. I don't try to make them do anything. They are happy just the way they are so I just go with it and make sure they get lots of bones to enjoy.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

All very true. My Jack will only play with a Kong ball now, if there is a treat in it. When he was younger, he played with toys more, but no longer. I gave most of his toys away.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Strange eh? Buddy & Holly don't play, either. Not even tug-of-war. They just ignore all toys, even Kong filled with peanut butter. We've tried. Roughhousing at dog parks just scares B&H. They do enjoy a gentle romp with some other doxies, hence monthly meetups. They ignore all squirrels & birds, but will engage larger game (cat/skunk/g-hog/deer). Mostly, Buddy loves to hunt (by nose). Does Elliott hunt? I wonder if maybe earthdog trials would suit him?

Thanks

Great ideas everyone! Thanks for the advice!! Elliott is definitely a lover. I bet he would love earth trials. He is very excited when we see squirrels. He starts to shake all over. If I lived in the country I would let him loose to get those dang squirrels!!!

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina