Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting, thanks.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Very good article. Thanks for sharing.

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

What an excellent article, Ivan!! Very balanced (right down to the critique of the study method). I couldn't agree more...it's more about how they're raised than what they are. I wanted to argue about the rescued dogs stat, but I suppose if you're using their parameters, and since you don't know their history prior to coming into rescue often, it does make sense. A terrific counter to BSL!!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I take issue with the shelter dog stat too. All three of my doxies came from rescue (all adopted as adults 4yrs, 4yrs, and 9yrs old) not one of them had/have an agressive bone in their bodies. I also volunteered at an all breed rescue for years and I don't remember agression being an issue. Most reputable rescues do behavior tests and strive not to adopt out agressive/dangerous dogs. It looks like that stat is from someone from AKC so there might be some bias there.

Aside from that I agree with their conclusion that it's more about the owner than the dog or breed. This study is a good argument for training and socialization early in the dog's life. IMO a well socialized dog is a happy dog.
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105

Thanks

Elliott is my first rescue. I was told he was an owner surrender. He was very underweight and affection aggressive but 2 months later he acts like he has been a part of our lives since birth. I wonder what time in a pups rescue they evaluated them. It isn't fair to judge them at the time they are brought in. Any animal would be aggressive if evaluated right out of a traumatic situation.

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks

Just because we all love pics. A sweet pic of my boy to break up the stressful topic.

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lucerogina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mom2reds View Post
    I take issue with the shelter dog stat too. All three of my doxies came from rescue (all adopted as adults 4yrs, 4yrs, and 9yrs old) not one of them had/have an agressive bone in their bodies. I also volunteered at an all breed rescue for years and I don't remember agression being an issue. Most reputable rescues do behavior tests and strive not to adopt out agressive/dangerous dogs. It looks like that stat is from someone from AKC so there might be some bias there.

Aside from that I agree with their conclusion that it's more about the owner than the dog or breed. This study is a good argument for training and socialization early in the dog's life. IMO a well socialized dog is a happy dog.
    I agree. There does seem to be some bias there.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

All of my dogs are or have been rescues. I had no issues with Nero except for her anxiety which I would have as well if I was in a cement run for 9 months. I signed her up immediately for group training lessons and she had a blast and enjoyed the attention and companionship so much we went right on with all the classes and got a CGC and started her agility classes.She is preparing to do therapy now. Dox needed medical attention but sweetness was his middle name. Aside from that I really enjoyed this article ad thanks for shariing. I love studying behavior.