Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Theo went down tonight. (Update - Post #122)

Tonight at dinner time when Theo went to do his little pee, I noticed that his couldn't really stand to pee so I brought him to his regular vets and then to the Animal hospital because he was partially paralyzed in his back right leg. Went the vet did the toe test, his little foot just stayed bent back in the position she had placed it in. He passed with the left one but its not strong either. He was examined at the hospital, and he is staying the night and the neurologist is going to see him in the morning. They are monitored 24hrs there, so if he has a seizure he won't be alone. I am freaking out. The vet at the hospital said he will definitely need surgery, its not an emergency like when a dog is 100% down so they would do it at the beginning of next week. Going to cost me 4,000 dollars of which I have 1,200. Not sure how I am going to raise the 2,800 either which is a major stress on me right now. I just want whats best for him and they surgery is the best for him. I have a thousand thoughts running through my head right now and I feel really sick. I couldn't believe the care he received when we arrived there. They were waiting for us at the front desk and took Theo right away to be examined and then came and spoke to Kayla (my niece) and I to explain everything. I know he will be safe tonight, but this is the first time in 6 years I am without my little guy and I miss him terribly. He really needs all the ray-z he can get now.
    Last edited by Kasianni; 05-16-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Oh Kasia!!! This is so scary, isn't it! And hard. But he's exactly where he needs to be right now. There's so much collected IVDD knowledge around here ready and waiting. You did exactly the right thing in getting him in stat. Are they going to do an MRI? Is there any option to go the conservative route? Whatever happens, know that we're all there with you in spirit! Many many and even more . We'll be waiting for an update. You might also want to check into Care Credit or whatever it's called. Also ask at the vet's to see if they have any kind of fund you can access. I'll see if I can think of anything else.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Prayers for Theo and hugs for you.

Did you and the vet discussion the option of meds, crate rest and laser therapy as an option? It might help if he is not totally down.
    Last edited by Yolanda; 04-11-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

thinking of you and sweet Theo! As Kim has said so many times, doxies are poorly engineered and I think what you are going through is every long dog momma's nightmare.

and and to you and Theo!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

I am so sorry Kasia. Lots and lots of rayz for your little dude.

He CAN recover from conventional care if surgery is not an option (just the odds are better with surgery). It doesn't make you a horrible dog Mom. It just means more drugs and 100% crate rest for 8 weeks. Part of me wishes I took video of Pixel when he was down and video of him now.

I know how scary and horrible this is. We are here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Oh, Kasia, I"m so sorry. It's so scary when one of our dogs is down. I"ve been thru this 3 times and it doesn't get easier.

I would ask about using a conservative method just to see what the vet thinks. Neuro are usually focussed on surgery so it might take a vet with a more holistic approach. I have had 2 recover from being completely down with meds and crate rest. They were both older dogs (one 13 and one 15 as I remember) and did very well. It takes lots of patience, but for me it was worth it.

If you do decide to go the surgery route, if Care Credit is available in Canada they might help you.

Whatever you decide, we're with you. Sending and
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I agree with Patrice. Neuro's make MONEY by doing surgery. I am not saying they don't know what they are doing, or that surgery can't help downed doxies, all I am saying is if you go another option, they don't get paid.

If I could 100% tell you Theo will get better with conventional care, I would (but I can't)! Pixel did. Patrice's dogs did. Pixel was fully down. He failed the toe test - badly. We had to support him when he went out to pee. After 8 weeks of 100% crate rest, Rafi crawled on the grass, while I supported him with a sling to try and get him to walk correctly and use his muscles.

Neither is an easy choice. Neither has guarantees. And even if it works now, it does not mean that he won't go down again in a year, or two or five.

You just need to weigh ALL your options. And I like the idea of talking to a holistic vet.

Thanks

Thanks you all for your comments and suggestions, you don't know how much it means to me. I don't feel so alone after reading them all. Thank you so so much for being here for us. I just spoke to the neurologist. She did say Theo would need surgery but I explained my situation to her so she is going to make a plan that we can do with meds and strict crate rest. I asked if waiting a week would make him worse and she said no if I did strict crate rest with the meds. She doesn't want to wait months but a week won't hurt and that way I can try to raise the rest of the funds somehow. Theo is wagging his tail and able to stand this morning but he is favoring the right hind leg. Left one isn't as bad he passes the toe test. I am going to meet her at 1 and talk about all this. Theo is coming home today. I've just been preparing his crate, and taking off some clamps and fixing it so it opens from the top, I think its easier to lift him out this way as the door is in the front and it will be harder to get him out that way. For the past 2 weeks, he has been crated, but not in a real crate, in the plastic one I bought that can be made larger or smaller, I posted pics of what it looks like some time ago. Its not good enough because he can walk around in that one where as the metal one he can stand but doesn't have too much room to walk. I'll update in a bit once I have gone to get him and make a plan for him. Thank you all so very much, I don't know what I would do without all of you! Oh I forgot to mention, since Theo was seeing the neurologist, she wants to discuss his seizures with me as well so getting that done too, which is good. On Sunday, it was 5 months without a seizure, she said that is really good!

Thanks

Mega for little Theo! I don't know about IVDD but I do know about sick little doxies, since Jack is still being medicated before surgery. You'll both be in my prayers.
    Iris (Jack's Mom, valet and cook)

Thanks

We did NSAID (if he is already on a steroid, that is not an option for you), tramadol and Methocarbamol. It worked really well. We did not see any improvement until week 5 or 6, then he got much better much, faster. I also really recommend laser therapy. It will help him heal quicker.

Lots more rayz.