Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Update #73 Home: Rusty went down :(

Rusty was displaying some odd behavior but I thought nothing of it. He always sleeps through the night and never needs to get up to potty. 4:45am he sat at the end of the bed and wouldnt go back to sleep. I took him outside just to see if that was what he needed. He had diarrhea. Then at 6am he got back up. the second he stepped outside he threw up.

About 7am I was just about to get in the shower I heard a huge yelp from the living room, ran out there and he was on his side on the floor. He couldnt get back up. I tried to stand him, nothing. Toe test, nothing. Ran to the E vet.

He has a protruding disk at the base of his tail. He has deep pain sensation in the left leg. She doesn't think he needs surgery at this time because he is trying to use his leg, he can move it but isn't passing the toe test. Pain meds, anti inflammatory & crate rest for now. May need surgery in future if problem doesn't heal & gets worse.

This is our first go at all of this. Thank you DLC for preparing me for this time. I hopped we would never get here with either of the boys, but we are here.

Right now he is so out of it however, he is crying like crazy in his crate. I think he wants out. He hasnt been crated since he was 1yo, now he's 7 1/2. I took him outside just to see if he needed to potty, nothing so I think he just wants out :(

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you!
    Last edited by RustysMom; 05-29-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Yikes! Poor Rusty is in pain. Good that you acted fast, and already know the drill towards recovery. Sending lotsa healing rays for your furboy.

Thanks

I'm so sorry, Angela. Lots of rayz for you and Rusty . As Ivan said, you know the drill from seeing so many of us go through it , so I am sure he will do great. Please keep us updated!
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

He is acting silly. Im sure he is in pain. He hasnt closed his mouth since we got home, tongue hanging out. Wont stop whining. Yet you can tell he is sleepy and cant hardly stay awake. I was supposed to give him the Rimadyl but with food and he is too out of it to want food. he looks miserable.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I think you should call the vet and ask if this is normal behaviour. It could be a reaction to the morphine. Just to be sure. Tons of and .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with Paula. I would call the vet and ask. I don't have a lot of experience with standard medications, but that doesn't sound good to me at all.

My vet got used to panicky calls from me when one of mine was down. It's not a big deal to them to get those calls
    Last edited by lotsadox; 05-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I am so very sorry to hear this. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way. :(

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks

was just at the vet with Odie (Rabies shot time) Asked the vet about Rusty. I have to give him the Rimadyl but I cannot get him to eat, anything! and it is supposed to be taken with food. How often should I attempt to take him out to potty? I dont even know if he can potty on his own :(
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

A doxie who won't eat? Yikes! Hmm.. Will he drink chicken broth? Maybe dissolve the pill in chicken broth, if he's willing to drink it? I'm not a vet, but I'm surprised that your vet chose Rimadyl over Predisolone.

As for potty, I'd stick to Rusty's usual schedule. Did they show you how to express his bladder? If he no longer has any bowel control, then you must help him eliminate. Later on, when he regains it then you can let him take over. Meanwhile washable crib liners were a big help for us.

Angela, are you saying this was a side-effect of getting a rabies shot? Kinda like Pogo's bad reaction last month? Hmmm.

Thanks

According to Theo's neurologist..it's not so much the pain pills that need to be given with food but the steroids. Also as everyone else has mentioned, really important to give him the Pepcid half hour prior to the anti-inflammatory. (steroid) I get up in the morning, give Theo 1/2 a Pepcid, take him to do his business and stretch a bit..then I feed him his breakfast and with that he got the steroid and pain killers. (He's not on either anymore) Once you get into a routine things will be better. He is taking the pain killers once a day or more often? Theo was on Tramadol (1/4 of a pill, each time not a full one) 3 times a day at first, then down to twice a day, then once a day. You only need the Pepcid once a day, in the morning. About the peeing and such..how often did he go before, do you know? For the first 2 weeks, I kept a pee pad in his crate with him but he never had an accident so I took it out..If he can hold it during the night, then I'd say take him out every 4-5 hours if you can. Really depends on the dog and how much water he is drinking. He might drink more with the steroids. I give him water every hour and take him out to pee every 4-5 hours. Works well for us. If Rusty can not potty on his own, do you know how to express him? I think someone posted a video here on how to do it. Stick the pill in some food that you know he likes, try a piece of cheese, anything you know he likes. Theo eats DD (kibble form) as food but I've been sticking his pills in a chunk of the canned DD and he gobbles it up with no issues. You have to try a few different things at first until you find something he will eat. Theo has a pillow in his crate (I'm using those black metal crates) I have a blanket covering the pillow and then he has his blanket on top of him when he sleeps. He is set up rather well. I didn't want to just put him on the hard plastic that is on the bottom of the crate as he was in a lot of pain and is much more comfortable on the pillow.