Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

I am so very sorry to hear this. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way. :(

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks

was just at the vet with Odie (Rabies shot time) Asked the vet about Rusty. I have to give him the Rimadyl but I cannot get him to eat, anything! and it is supposed to be taken with food. How often should I attempt to take him out to potty? I dont even know if he can potty on his own :(
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

A doxie who won't eat? Yikes! Hmm.. Will he drink chicken broth? Maybe dissolve the pill in chicken broth, if he's willing to drink it? I'm not a vet, but I'm surprised that your vet chose Rimadyl over Predisolone.

As for potty, I'd stick to Rusty's usual schedule. Did they show you how to express his bladder? If he no longer has any bowel control, then you must help him eliminate. Later on, when he regains it then you can let him take over. Meanwhile washable crib liners were a big help for us.

Angela, are you saying this was a side-effect of getting a rabies shot? Kinda like Pogo's bad reaction last month? Hmmm.

Thanks

According to Theo's neurologist..it's not so much the pain pills that need to be given with food but the steroids. Also as everyone else has mentioned, really important to give him the Pepcid half hour prior to the anti-inflammatory. (steroid) I get up in the morning, give Theo 1/2 a Pepcid, take him to do his business and stretch a bit..then I feed him his breakfast and with that he got the steroid and pain killers. (He's not on either anymore) Once you get into a routine things will be better. He is taking the pain killers once a day or more often? Theo was on Tramadol (1/4 of a pill, each time not a full one) 3 times a day at first, then down to twice a day, then once a day. You only need the Pepcid once a day, in the morning. About the peeing and such..how often did he go before, do you know? For the first 2 weeks, I kept a pee pad in his crate with him but he never had an accident so I took it out..If he can hold it during the night, then I'd say take him out every 4-5 hours if you can. Really depends on the dog and how much water he is drinking. He might drink more with the steroids. I give him water every hour and take him out to pee every 4-5 hours. Works well for us. If Rusty can not potty on his own, do you know how to express him? I think someone posted a video here on how to do it. Stick the pill in some food that you know he likes, try a piece of cheese, anything you know he likes. Theo eats DD (kibble form) as food but I've been sticking his pills in a chunk of the canned DD and he gobbles it up with no issues. You have to try a few different things at first until you find something he will eat. Theo has a pillow in his crate (I'm using those black metal crates) I have a blanket covering the pillow and then he has his blanket on top of him when he sleeps. He is set up rather well. I didn't want to just put him on the hard plastic that is on the bottom of the crate as he was in a lot of pain and is much more comfortable on the pillow.

Thanks

Ppoor Rusty, and poor you! I'm so sorry. Yes, do call the vet. Please keep us posted!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

If he is not eating, bring him to the vet and get them to give him a shot of the drugs. He has to have it TONIGHT. seriously, it is what reduces the swelling and totally required.

I know the fear, stress and guilt, Angela, THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. So if you are thinking it is...it isn't. As Kim has said, doxies are not engineered well.

All you can do is focus on his recovery and then long term management. He will always be an IVDD dog. As will Pixel and Pogo and Jax, and Theo and Laika and a whole bunch of other doxies on the DLC.....and they are all doing well, some with surgery, some with just crate rest, but they are ALL doing well now.

If you need me to call you, PM me your phone number. You will get through this. ((hugs)).

But as of right this second. Get back to the vet, if he is not eating, and get a shot. Call them, otherwise go to the e-vet. He has to get it into him.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    If he is not eating, bring him to the vet and get them to give him a shot of the drugs. He has to have it TONIGHT. seriously, it is what reduces the swelling and totally required.

I know the fear, stress and guilt, Angela, THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. So if you are thinking it is...it isn't. As Kim has said, doxies are not engineered well.

All you can do is focus on his recovery and then long term management. He will always be an IVDD dog. As will Pixel and Pogo and Jax, and Theo and Laika and a whole bunch of other doxies on the DLC.....and they are all doing well, some with surgery, some with just crate rest, but they are ALL doing well now.

If you need me to call you, PM me your phone number. You will get through this. ((hugs)).

But as of right this second. Get back to the vet if he is not eating and get a shot. Call them, otherwise go to the e-vet. He has to get it into him.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I am so very sorry to hear this! Big hugs to both of you.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

Can you cook a hot dog, then cut it into small pieces and then stick the pill in it...or wrap the pill in a small piece of cheese...
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

How is he doing today, Angela? Tons more and !
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."