Thanks

Default Quick question on potty training

As if it could be quick..yeah right!!!!!!

I'm sure you guys are tired of explaining potty training puppies to newbies so I'm going to try to keep it quick and simple.

What should I expect? I take Charlie outside and am trying to keep it as straight forward as possible...I don't sit and I don't play. Well....oops...not the first couple times until I figured it out. Thing is, he is so tiny I don't see him pee. We were playing and I noticed he was wet on his belly so I knew he peed...then he poo'ed and I cheered like crazy Now I just keep checking for his belly to be wet.

I take him and he doesn't go. I put him back in his olaypen and he goes straight to the pad and pees

I know he's a baby and I don't want to over or under do it. How long should I stay outside? And how long after I go back inside should I go back out?

Ya see? Nice and shirt *sigh*

Thanks

I now know how to make something happen...just post about it here
    When he woke up I took him out and he tinkled right away!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I think he's doing great for such a baby!!! A dog isn't capable of being fully house trained til s/he is a few months old because s/he just doesn't have enough muscle control yet (it's been a very long time since I had a puppy in the house, so can't remember details ). But if he's using the pads and not just going anywhere, you're half way there. Never forget that he's a dachsie, and they are notoriously difficult to convince that they need to go outside 100% of the time . You're on the right track, I think! I'd take him outside and put him down where he's peed before, and that'll be an incentive for him. The other option would be to put a used pee pad down where you want him to potty so he'll smell his own scent and want to pee/poop there. You're doing it right, with lots of praise and gentle correction though!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    .The other option would be to put a used pee pad down where you want him to potty so he'll smell his own scent and want to pee/poop there. You're doing it right, with lots of praise and gentle correction though!

Sounds right. I was going to say take a paper towel with his pee and poop on it and put it where you want him to do and always take him to the same place. Praise him when he does good and give hm a treat. Make it a positive thing. Do not yell or anything else when he does wrong.

Remember he is still a baby and needs nurturing and love
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yolanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We did take his pee pad out there last night.

He didn't use the pad at all in the middle of the night! Took him out at 6:15 and he went both

There will be no yelling believe me!!! I am all about positive reinforcement

Thanks

Sounds like things are going very well! As he grows, he will be able to hold it longer, one month old, one hour. Two months old, two hours, etc. Keep it up! High praise, high value tiny treat immediately for every success. Ignore mistakes, they are your fault. It will get better.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

I am really very happy with things so far. He did gin in the pad in the middle if the night because it was absolutely pouring all night.
    Even though it is still rainy (and supposed to be all week) we have gotten back in track today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

What a good boy!!! Maybe youll have that most elusive of creatures...the housetrained dachshund!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Keep up the good work! House training is possible. I have one of the elusive creatures Alex's mom speaks of! ;)

Loving my Elliott,
    Gina

Thanks

Haha knock in wood! I just can't imagine it at 8.5 weeks though. My husband keeps saying you did it in 3 days!! But he is dying to have him sleep in the bed and I said not until he is mostly potty trained.

And sorry for all the typos ...I'm pretty bad on the ipad or phone