Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Our first doxie!

Hi there! In case you haven't noticed, I'm a newbie to both the forum and to doxie's! For many years now we have wanted to have one of these cute critters in our family, and have eyed my bestfriends lovable little dachshund. We finally have a chance to get one, and couldn't be more happy! We have about three more weeks until our little guy comes home, and I was wanting to see what your alls opinions on his coat might be. His mother is a chocolate longhair, and his father a black and tan smooth. The breeder said he looks to be a long, but our friend (a fellow dachshund momma) says he looks smooth. Is it too soon to tell perhaps?

And heres a bonus of the cheeky little fellow! He's the rebel of the bunch!

Thanks

Congratulations!!!

I just brought home my first Doxie Friday night
    I'm not really sure what you've got there but my guess will be longhair!!

Thanks

OOooeeee! A tiny noobie! Congrats to the happy parents. Dachsies are special. Awesome demeanor and attitude. You'll see. How old will he be in 3 weeks, when he comes home to you? Pass around the cigars!

Thanks

Wink

Oh my goodness. How adorable. I have been rescueing senior pets for so long I forgot what a pup looks like. He's gonna bring you lots of love and challenge every brain cell you have. They are smart,funny,strong willed(which can actually be part of the fun). You will love being a new dachsie mom.

Thanks

So cute!!!!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    OOooeeee! A tiny noobie! Congrats to the happy parents. Dachsies are special. Awesome demeanor and attitude. You'll see. How old will he be in 3 weeks, when he comes home to you? Pass around the cigars!
    He will only be 6 weeks old! I'm kind of nervous, It's been a long time since I've had one that small. Our Simba was a rescue at 5 months, and most of our other pets over the years have been rescues. This is honestly the first time I have purchased a dog from a breeder, but now that we have children my husband and I decided our next one we should raise from as early as possible so it will be well socialized to the kids. Plus we just couldn't pass on the little fella we have been wanting for years!

Thanks

Six weeks is too young to be taken from Mama. I realize that's what we've always heard, "puppies are ready to go! 6 weeks old!" but after getting my holy terror Savannah Jane at 6 weeks I have come to agree with the folks here on DLC that it's too young.

I know you can't WAIT to have your baby at home... many breeders go all the way to 12 weeks with the dam, and most have moved the number to 8 weeks.

Off topic- if this is your first stubborn german dog (truth!), you may find it helpful to read Dachshunds for Dummies. I'm certainly not saying you are a dummy, I mean obviously not as you have chosen the most wonderful breed ever (even though they are poorly engineered)... but the book answers a lot of questions I didn't even know to ask. Well worth the investment.

Best of luck with your bundle of joy. Cutie for sure!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Six weeks is too young to be taken from Mama. I realize that's what we've always heard, "puppies are ready to go! 6 weeks old!" but after getting my holy terror Savannah Jane at 6 weeks I have come to agree with the folks here on DLC that it's too young.

I know you can't WAIT to have your baby at home... many breeders go all the way to 12 weeks with the dam, and most have moved the number to 8 weeks.

Off topic- if this is your first stubborn german dog (truth!), you may find it helpful to read Dachshunds for Dummies. I'm certainly not saying you are a dummy, I mean obviously not as you have chosen the most wonderful breed ever (even though they are poorly engineered)... but the book answers a lot of questions I didn't even know to ask. Well worth the investment.

Best of luck with your bundle of joy. Cutie for sure!
    Unfortunately the breeder lives across the bridge where they (believe it or not) actually have NO laws on how old a pup has to be. :( I have had people back out on me in the past because they didn't want to keep the pups that long, and in the past we have lost out on the puppy we wanted. I'll more than likely ask for something with the moms scent, and let her sleep with some warm water bottles for the first couple of weeks.

I have definitely looked into that book! I have been researching like crazy! We have a Pom, which is another stubborn little German dog. They all have their quirks don't they?

Thanks

It seems odd that your breeder would allow a puppy go at such a young age. Also, doesn't Indiana law require 8 weeks minimum?
    http://www.animallaw.info/articles/o...ysaletable.htm
    http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/proper...uppy-1190.html

This little guy has such a pretty dapple coloring, with B/T markings. Adorable!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome. You have received great advice so far from many of the members. Enjoy and continue to ask. This is a wonderful group of very humane people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk