Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Thanks

Default Help!

My Sven jumps from my bed to the floor, the couch to the floor, the ARM of the couch to the floor... He even tried jumping out of the door of my lifted truck to the ground but I caught him! He is nuts! He is so tiny.. My Dexter never tried this at his age. I need some portable stairs ASAP. Does anyone know of any that fold up for easy transport? We visit my grandparents on a daily basis so I would like some I can just fold up and carry around easily. Geez this pup makes me nervous. He hurt his mouth jumping once and yet that still doesn't deter him. :( I put a little foot rest thingy by my bed that Dexter would use but he doesn't use it.... Its about half the height of the bed. Please help, I don't want my baby hirting his back...
    This isn't goodbye, I'll see you again, sweet baby. I can't wait to meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Dexter Roy Lofland (September 15th 2013- May 29 2014)

Thanks

Lots of puppy energy. I think most of the pet stores have doggie steps. Even online like petsmart and petco and Dr's Fosters and Smith. I even saw some in JoAnn fabrics(no dachshund prints tho).I bet some of the other DLCer's have more experience with this than I do. i have seem car ramps online as well.Good luck. He sounds like quite the spirited lad.

Thanks

You can have stairs and ramps all over the place but he won't use them unless you train him to use them! Ramps are best, we made ours, and I trained my dogs to use them. You can do it, too, and the sooner the better or he will have a ruptured disc before you know what happened! And you don't want that.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

In The Company of Dogs has some ramps for use with vehicles. As Suzanne says, ramps are better than stairs. But she's also right that you have to train them to use them. You might be better off to put him in a travel crate in the car so he can't jump out unassisted and get some ramps for at home.

Miller was the total "flying dachshund" and there was only so much I could do.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

He will be much safer riding in a crate in the car!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Savannah the Flying Nutjob always rides in her crate in the car, too. Too many things can happen, and if you were to get hit little Sven would become a projectile.

Another reason Savannah rides in her crate is that she would like to ride oN TOP OF MY HEAD, please.... (sheesh!)
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Tex

Thanks

Big ditto! crate in car saves a life! & you have to train them to use a ramp or stairs even if they don't use it 100% of the time, he may choose it more.

My Rusty was terrified of the ramp until I used some treats and guided him up and down it with the treat and his nose to follow.

And remember, IVDD is Genetic. It can happen at anytime whether the dog is active in jumping or not.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustysMom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My husband built a bedside ramp for Charlie and he was trained to use it in a couple days!! He does tend to hop off a little early but it's much better than nothing. Now he has to do one for the couch.

I found fold up stairs for my senior kitty at Tuesday Morning and have seen them at Ross, Marshalls and Home Goods cheaper than in pet stores. You can look on eBay for the ramp too. And Target has a couch size one for about $60

~~~ Karen & Charlie ~~~

Thanks

I tried crating him in the truck bit he barks this really high pitched bark the entire time and I couldn't do it. I have this thing ordered that attaches to the seatbelt but I haven't got it yet. I guess ramps are better than stairs then?

Another note... He is very spoiled. I think he has separation anxiety too because of that. If he gets left anywhere by himself, he barks and barks and barks. This really loud, high pitched fast bark over and over again. I mowed my lawn and it took me 4 hours and he just nevwr stopped, at all. He does that anytime I leave him, I can't even go downstairs to go to the bathroom. He also barks like that when I'm eating. Dexter was never this vocal. He just got loud when he had something to bark at like a person or animal. I worked so hard on teaching Dexter to speak as a trick, now I'm working even harder to teach Sven not to bark.. And its not very effective.
    This isn't goodbye, I'll see you again, sweet baby. I can't wait to meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Dexter Roy Lofland (September 15th 2013- May 29 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I'm guessing some of this behaviour comes from him being taken from his mom too early. He may well grow out of it. Earplugs are your friend .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."