Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Frieda didn't eat her breakfast today.

Should I panic??

When my first (human!) baby was only a few weeks old, and I changed his diaper, he totally scared me by peeing and hitting himself in the face. (Who knew boys could do such a thing??! So new mom that I was, afraid I had blinded him or something, I immediately dialed the hospital. Through her attempt not to laugh (too loudly) at me, I could practically hear the triage nurse say to the staff, 'new mom on line 1'.

So, before I worry too much, I'll ask here. Frieda LOVES food. Since she is going into her second week here, I don't have a good handle on her eating patterns, though she sure hangs out with anyone in the kitchen, or anyone who has snacks. I don't know whether her prior family fed her human food. We haven't.

She is 15 years old, and had a dental cleaning with some extractions 2 weeks ago, but the vet said her mouth was healing well. I added some kibble to her canned food starting on Friday (both Wellness grain free, plus a little bit (1/4 t) of pumpkin and sometimes a touch of coconut oil) and she seemed to think it was yummy.

I've been feeding her twice, breakfast and dinner, rather than just once/day. The vet thought her weight was good for her size last week when we got her.

Since she is only 7#, do I need to worry if she skips a meal sometimes or only eats a couple bites? Maybe I should swing by the vet's office to weigh her?

Do Doxies generally self regulate their food intake pretty well? I can't free feed her because of other animals.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I've never had many dachsies that were "self regulating" when it comes to food. More of them have been like Cash in the eat-until-you-pop camp. That being said, Miller will eat until he's full and then walk away from being given more food. It won't hurt her to miss a meal now and then as long as she seems okay otherwise and is drinking water. These little guys can dehydrate really fast so it's important that they are getting enough liquids.

I feed mine twice a day. The food goes down and if they don't eat I pick it up so "someone else" doesn't eat it. They're used to their schedule and know the routine. In the mornings, they eat after I shower. In the evenings, they eat after we do. I think it does help to have a routine so they know what to expect especially with a new dog.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jack misses a meal once in a while so I wouldn't worry about it. That being said, yes, water is important. You might try chicken breast and rice or scrambled egg. That's what I give Jack if he doesn't want his regular food, then he will will get back to his regular meals. I also often mix sardines in water with his kibble and green beans for something tastier, and to help with his coat. He loves his sardines! I guess they have off days like we do as far as eating. If she doesn't eat anything after a couple of days, then you need to worry. If she doesn't drink a lot, try fat free, low sodium chicken broth. Keep us posted! Free feeding isn't a good idea, for many reasons.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How is Frieda now? Did she eat her dinner? Crossing fingers that she did.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

ITA with what's been said...routine is important in feeding times, so sounds like so far so good. And at her age, twice (or even 3 times) a day is easier on their old digestive systems. If she's enjoyed what you've been feeding her so far, then there's probably something else going on. If she only picked at one meal and then went back to eating, no worries, so long as she's drinking. If you have more than one pup drinking out of the same bowl, you need to keep an eagle eye on her to make sure she's drinking. You might want to give her her water separately, and put a bit of chicken broth (unsalted if at all possible) in it to encourage her to drink. If she continues to not eat, then that's a vet visit. While missing a couple of meals isn't a big deal, at her age it could signal more going on. Scramble up an egg for her and see if she eats that. Could be that her mouth is still a bit sore, or her tummy. If her heart's not good, it could be that too.

I wouldn't worry too much if it only happens occasionally (she's still settling in) but if it's more than once, then I'd see the vet. Sending tons of feel-better-Frieda and a or three. (I laughed at your baby story...I had a friend once who went to her vet convinced her new kitten was deaf because it wouldn't do what she wanted. Vet very kindly told her "It's a cat...that's what they do" ) As a rule, dachsies are chow hounds of the first degree. I've never had one (except for my Wen, but he had a lot of medical issues, esp his heart) who like Cash didn't want to eat til they 'splode if given the chance!

Keep us posted on your old girl, Linda, ok?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is she back to eating? I would try to add a sardine as suggested or some low salt chicken broth over the food. Keep us posted.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I, Savannah Jane, will be glad to come eat the food.

I am sure she's fine, Linda. Both of my dogs (the Very Old One and the Tiny Tornado) have been Hoover-Eureka style on their food -and mine if I am not watching closely - so I can't say I've been in your shoes.

But I have heard rumors that there are doggies who don't inhale anything the might be edible!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is she eating yet? (Love the pic of SJ!). Please keep us posted!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

She is eating again! She had skipped breakfast, and ate lightly for dinner. She picked at breakfast again, but at least ate half. This silly worried mum actually fed her dinner on the sofa to make sure she would eat!

I started warming up the canned food, thinking maybe it was too cold. She really seems to prefer the dry though, so I may go to all dry, and monitor her water intake more closely.

I brought her to the vet's office today just to put her on the scale. She was right at 7.2# She was just about that when I brought her in for her first check up, right about 7# a few days after her dental, and at the shelter she was 7.7#.

It could very well be that her teeth were a little sore, or her taste buds adjusting, or even me just learning the right quantity to give her. At least I have some ideas now for if she does it again.

I probably should just relax, but she is just SO tiny! Half the size of my cats, and if a cat doesn't eat for a day, it can be a crisis.

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post

I, Savannah Jane, will be glad to come eat the food.

I am sure she's fine, Linda. Both of my dogs (the Very Old One and the Tiny Tornado) have been Hoover-Eureka style on their food -and mine if I am not watching closely - so I can't say I've been in your shoes.

But I have heard rumors that there are doggies who don't inhale anything the might be edible!
    What a little cutie!!!

Savannah Jane would be most welcome to come visit! Frieda would be more than happy to share!