Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I think he simply isn't tuned in like I am, therefore he doesn't hear her when she starts stirring and she gives up.
    It's a GOOD thing you're so tuned in to her, but maybe you need to ... um ...kinda ignore some of what you're reading . Jus' sayin'......

That's my mistake too...the feeding when we get up thing started with Alex because her med schedule was so insane. Honest to god, the last year of her life I doubt I got more than 2 hours of sleep in a row most nights. It calmed down the first year the Js were here, but then it was more of the same when Wen came because of his seizures. And stayed that way until James crossed because he and Jules just got sicker and sicker. Poor little guys!!!

I can live with getting up at 5...that's when I normally wake up anyway. It's the pushing it further and further back (yes, Patti, I'm talking to YOU!!! ) that's making me crazy. Like Patrice, I am NOT a nice person when forced to get up too early. It's one thing when they're sick or HAVE to go out, but to get up to play with the ball before b'fast is simply the best way to turn me into a raging lunatic, this morning being a good case in point.

I refuse to feed them when they make me get up early...it's a cranky mom lugging them all back to bed. Not that it means getting any more sleep ...by then I'm so irate that no way am I going back to sleep. but it's the principle of the thing!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I don't know what magic happened at my house last night, but SJ and I went to bed a bit before 10 and she whined once. I told her "hush, it's bedtime. Bedtime, Savannah!" and I didn't hear her stir until Sutton's alarm woke us all up at 5:45! I told her to hush again and made her stay in the crate (I stayed in bed) until my alarm (different sound) went off at 6, then we got up, went out to potty, had puppy breakfast time, and retreated to the recliner for coffee.

I'm floored.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I"m a total believer in "Go to sleep" and a squirt of the water bottle if needed. It seems to work just fine. I've had trouble with the DH in the past when the dogs slept in crates with him getting up and letting them out if they whined at all. He'd say 'I thought he needed to go out and potty' to which I responded "Then take them out to potty and put them back in their crate when they are done. No playing. No treats. No fun" Of course, that never happens either.

I'm a big believer in not feeding them until they've been up an hour or so. That way they don't relate getting me up to getting food. It's worked with mine
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    My dogs all sleep in until I'm ready to get up. It could have something to do with how cranky I am when I"m woken earlier than I want to be. I think some of it has to do with the fact that mine never get fed right away. I get up, give them a treat, fix coffee, read email, take a shower and then they get fed. They know the drill and don't bug me to feed them earlier. I'm very blessed
    +1

Fwiw... Yes, this is what we do, also. It REALLY works! Ours are not freed from their crate until after we shower, make coffee, etc. and even then, they must be calm & quiet before we open the door. Otherwise, they'll have to wait longer. This excellent tip was from Jan Fennell's Dog Whisperer book. Once free, they always remain calm. Yes! About 10 mins later, they're led outside for potty "bidness", and then back inside to calmly wait for their daily meal. They must lie calmly (like a sphinx) before I even put their hunk of meat at their feet, then they must wait for my "OK" signal. So they've learned to be calm always, and they never whine. Nice. As Patricia McDonnell says, they learn how to correctly handle their frustration, and it pays off.

BTW, we also apply a similar delay tactic when we get home from work, so they're not overly excited at our arrival. We ignore 'em for 5-10 minutes, only if excited, so they learn to stay calm, and so that's how freedom comes to them. Simple, and effective.

As a bonus: while I'm walking them, if I stop to chat up someone, they automatically wait at my feet w/o being asked. And they calmly wait for me (usually in sphinx pose) to move again. I dunno how that happened? This just happened on its own. Probably from the above?

Good luck with SJ.

Thanks

tonight we walked 4 miles. In a row. On purpose. Pretty quickly.

hoping she sleeps again tonight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    My dogs all sleep in until I'm ready to get up. It could have something to do with how cranky I am when I"m woken earlier than I want to be. I think some of it has to do with the fact that mine never get fed right away. I get up, give them a treat, fix coffee, read email, take a shower and then they get fed. They know the drill and don't bug me to feed them earlier. I'm very blessed
    Almost exactly the same here...they get up when I do. They get fed when when I can get to it. They have always slept with us and from the beginning, I'd yell "SETTLE" if they even thought about getting crazy before I was ready to get up. They'd settle down and get right back under the covers. I am not a morning person!
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks

LadiesAndRafi, we have a trifecta! Three nights in a row she went in her crate and whined once. I told her (sternly) that it's bedtime and to lay down and go to sleep.

And she DID! I make her stay in the crate until my alarm goes off at six, and I'm hoping it will 'click' for her that the bells mean she can get up - but not before. Working on it. Being consistent. Reward going in to the crate with a stinky treat...

Thanks everyone e for sharing you experiences and for the sympathy! A girl's gotta sleep...

Thanks

Hooray!!!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

A girl's gotta sleep...
    I totally agree! That's why I always make sure my dogs know the rules and #1 rule is don't wake mom up too early.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

we have a trifecta! Three nights in a row
    YAY! Rae, that's awesome.