Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default I have pi**ed off the vetkarma gods

Nicky is down. Noticed the hunched last night - OK maybe you had a long weekend hunting with Daddy. This am - Nooo - shivering, yelping, tucked up off to Doc.
    Rimadyl, Adequan, Dexamethasone & Metacam.

and new one(for us) take hand towel saturate with icy cold water, squeeze - lay across spine then lay heating pad on top set on low.

Sighhh.... whoever whatever whenever I did whatever it is I am sorry I swear I am.
    Last edited by Yolanda; 10-29-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

That is just awful! There must be an end to this madness. Tons more and to you. Hope the rain stops pouring!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mama S. View Post

and new one(for us) take hand towel saturate with icy cold water, squeeze - lay across spine then lay heating pad on top set on low.

Sighhh.... whoever whatever whenever I did whatever it is I am sorry I swear I am.

So sorry Sandi, take good care of him. Yes it does seem like you cnn't get a break right now.

BTW, in the holistic world the ice towel followed by the heating pad is not new.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I've never heard of using ice and heat at the same time. Interesting . . .

I have used alternating ice and heat. That's been around the sports medicine world since before it as called sports medicine and can work wonders. Back in the 80's, I had my foot run over by a car (it involved a drunk guy, don't ask) and that's what one of the guys I worked with told me to do for the soreness and bruising. It worked like a charm. It took all the soreness out really fast.

Edit: I did some research and it brought back a lot. Ice is usually used at onset (my vet had me use frozen peas lol) because it brings down swelling and inflammation which relieves pain. My chiro also has be used ice on my back if he's had to do a lot of adjustment. I'm not sure how the heat pad on top of the iced towel works. I know that often you use a damp towel so that you have moist heat instead of dry heat. I don't know about the iced towel though. Maybe Kim will have some insight.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Really sorry to see this.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

Yikes! Hope your little one recovers soon. Good luck, Nicky.

Thanks

OH no sending lots of . Sorry you have to deal with this on top of everything else..However, I am confused with something, I know Dexamethasone is a steroid because that is exactly what Theo took when he went down. BUT I also know that Metacam is a NSAID and the two can NOT be used together at all. How is he using both? When Theo went down, I gave him a dose of Metacam and he had to wait 4 days before starting the Dexamethasone because it was dangerous to use them together? Maybe I am wrong...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Geez, Mama, you can't catch a break!!!!! Sending a ton of and . Not sure about the ice/heat thing...I've also always been told to alternate, not use both together? ? Kasia, that's what I've also been told about the NSAIDS...not to mix them. this is a Kim question !
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks