Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Vision

Thanks

Default Night Vision

Due to my schedule and the Godforsaken time change I have to walk the dogs at dusk or in the pitch dark. Even though we live in a quiet neigborhood I worry about oncoming traffic - because we live in a quiet neighborhood People don't pay attention! I fear they won't see the dogs and slow down. I do keep them close to me but drivers can get too close for comfort.

I have tried those blinky lights that change colors, the high dollar blinky lights shaped like bones, glow in the dark tubes attached to their leashes but nothing worked well at all and usually required expensive coin type batteries. Yesterday I went to my sewing machine and came up with these. They are easy on and off, reversible, machine washable and water resistant. They are flexible and soft - meaning they don't bother the dogs at all and best of all - no batteries required! I think I have a winner.

I am looking for a few people who walk their dogs at low light to field test for me. If you would be interested send me your dogs collar measurement and address via PM. I am also trying to come up with a name. If your suggestion is chosen I will send you one of the as yet, un-named items!

No light.

Light!

Sixteen feet away from me, in heavy smoke from people burning leaves.
    Last edited by Red Haired Girl; 11-09-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Looking for a name

Thanks

Wow! Those really reflect! I often walk at night and would love to test-drive one for you! I would also like to know where you got the materials! I could add them to the harnesses I make! Also, what is it called? Thanks.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Great idea! I used to walk my dogs at night a lot, but since the people up the street got a rottweiler that gets out on a regular basis, we haven't been walking much.

I do love the idea of reflective collars. The DH bought me a leash with blinking lights on it and I've used it on Scooter, but it's kind of big and heavy to use on the other dogs. I like this idea!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I mostly walk Buddy in twilight or after dark. I'm seeking a solution too.

May I suggest side reflectors too? Maybe a front one too?

We've tried some reflective collars & many lighted ones. They're often OK from the side, but invisible from the front. From the side, Buddy's ears often cover up his collar rendering it invisible except when his head is down (eg, sniffing), so extra side marker lights really help, a lot. From the front, his collar is not seen at all, esp. if his head is down, but the side markers are visible. A pendant lamp hanging from his neck was most visible from front, but dragged & broke when his head was down (so short-lived).

When he's off exploring in an unknown direction in a dark field or forest, the (1 of 3) lights give away his location. This happens every night, cuz our street has no lamps. My problem is that reflectors require being lit from somewhere, eg, directly in the path of a car, which is the danger we want to avoid.

Here's our current setup, which is the best compromise we found: http://imgur.com/a/5ZDyf

I'm hoping newer LED's can be lit for longer with a better battery, not button cells? So, our search continues.

Thanks

That is an excellent idea.

I have another design idea for the reflective tape. Make one that goes around the ribs and closes on top for convenience, with velcro. Then add another piece of tape that goes from one shoulder, around the front, to the other shoulder, sewn to the first tape. Does that make sense? From the side view it would look like a T on it's side. I can be made loose enough to fit on top of whatever harness you have.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

That would be doable. I could also do it so it is visible from the front by running the T strap under the chest. My only worry is that, as the dog walks, it will bunch up toward the front of the dog since it is free floating.

Thanks

What do you think of the name Moon Doggie?

Thanks

I love the name Moon Doggie!
    I was at a hot dog stand this afternoon and a Moondog was on the menu. It included bacon and cheese with the other fixins. yum

Here's the idea I had....

More visible than just the collar. Use a velcro closure on the top which can go bigger or smaller to accommodate a sweater or harness. Hope that works for you.

Right now our day time highs are not getting above the freezing mark so our walks aren't happening any more. Unless they ride in my coat with their little head poking out at my collar bone.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BeauBuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow those are great

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Love this!! Mine never are out in public at night but what a great concept!! I wonder if you made another version that could be velcroed onto a blanket or harness if anyone besides me might like one?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post: