Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Barking?

Hello, here I am with another question!

When did your doxies began to bark? Mine don't bark, but I've heard that doxies are good barkers and she's still a puppy (6 months), will it happens later? My collegue told me that it may begins later, like when she will be older...?

Thanks

Oh yes, they are great barkers!! Theo didn't bark until he was at least a few months old and heard Mika barking..It was so cute, he tried to howl at first then the barking starting...and never stopped.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasianni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I think they often learn to bark from other dogs. I had one dog that rarely barked until he was around dogs that barked. Then, like Kasianni said, it never stopped

I think this falls into the be careful what you wish for category
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox View Post
    I think this falls into the be careful what you wish for category
    Yessirree! Barking is not a happy thing. It's anxiety. Over here, it's (over)-used when guarding for intruders, and barking at other times was a learned behavior. It's annoying. We're still working on UN-learning it, esp. when the doorbell rings, and instead we'll learn to be quiet. This new skill is proving VERY difficult.

Thanks

Oh. They learned it from other dogs eh? My brother's dog, Chloé is a master barker...

And she barked that one time to respond at a dog who was barking in the Tv. lol.

I really have a fool's hope that she will not be that bad hahaha!

Thanks

Yeah, last xmas, Buddy learned his doggie cousin's quirky habit of barking on the farmhouse's front stoop the instant the hounds were let outside to play. It was cute and reinforced many times per day, at the farm.

Buddy learned it as: door opens = bark for fun. Yeah, ANY door. ANY time. He loved that game. We didn't. His original behavior is now almost extinguished. But it branched into "bark at weird noise", which is a more persistent behavior we're still working on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Savannah Jane can hear a mouse fart in the barn and think it's her job to bark at it. She takes her career (barking, being adorable, eating, being adorable, de-stuffing toys, being adorable, and getting me up at unholy-o'clock) very seriously.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tristan never barked. He would say "WRRRRRRRR!" if he wanted something. One night he got up in the middle of the night and started barking, and DH and I panicked because we thought something terrible must be happening . Never did figure out what he was barking at.

So we thought, "wow... dachshunds must not bark!" Ha ha. These two bark all the time, since they were tiny tiny puppies. When we went to meet them, we could hear their daddy barking as we drove up. DH says we should have immediately turned around and driven the other way.

They like to bark at each other when they play. That's actually pretty cute. I sometimes bark with them for a few minutes. Angel will talk back to you if you say "Roo Roo Rooooooooo!" to her.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

James never really barked, but all the other I've had were demon barkers . My current three are sort of middle-of-the-road barkers...will bark a) if one of the others does, or b) if there's actually something outside to bark at. Patti is the worst!!! he has a total smoker's bark (think Selma Diamond on Night Court...if you're old enough to remember her ), but somewhere along the way he learned that if I'm holding a finger up to my lips in the classic "shhh" signal, he'll not only stop barking, but totally calm down. It is a bit of learned behaviour, I think!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My two don't bark too much unless they see the squirrels outside in the trees or on the back deck. Or, if someone rings the doorbell (sometimes even on TV) or knocks on the door. You should hear it when I take my 2 dachshunds to my sister's house (she has 2 dachshunds too) and someone rings the doorbell. Can you say deafening??
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mom2reds For This Useful Post: