Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default All the training advice you have? Yeah I want it.

I haven't had a little little since 2002. Milo was 5 months old when I got him and frankly, set in his ways. Very little has changed with him.

She wants nothing to do with her dachshund mansion and whines to a tiny howl when she's in there. I don't really mind having her on the bed but she seems to settle faster OUT of the crate on my chest rather than in her crate. Milo sleeps on the bed, so yeah she can too except she's TINY. When she wakes up I feel it and get up, take her to her wee pad so that part is good.

Tips?

Oh yeah, and how often should I be changing out her wee pads?

Thanks

I am a big fan of crate training. Only because doxies are so prone to disk issues, well, my doxies are That is not to say they can't sleep with you!! Just slowly introduce the crate, where they get fed and maybe hang out for an hour a day, and increase it gradually, just until they are comfortable with their space. Never use the crate for punishments.

Potty training, I still reward with a piece of kibble, and my oldest will be 14. If they go where I want (outside) that is worth it to me.

Never call a dog to you to punish them. Anytime they come to you, should be a happy experience for them. This might be a valuable tool one day.

Potty training, be consistent, reward good behavior, ignore bad. Praise like she has cured cancer when she goes where you want her to. Make sure all humans use the same "commands" for actions. Go tinkle, go potty, whatever, just make sure they are the same so she knows what you want her to do.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Savannah Jane still hates her crate. She'll be 3 in May.

BUT, that said, she will go get in it from anywhere in the house if I say "Savannah, box." She gets a high value treat ONLY when she gets in her crate, and EVERY time she gets in it...

Your baby is still adjusting to being away from mommy and litter mates.

You'll never forgive yourself if you give in the her demands and accidentally squish her, and there's no time like the present to establish who is in charge. If you don't, you'll end up like me!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Savannah Jane still hates her crate. She'll be 3 in May.

BUT, that said, she will go get in it from anywhere in the house if I say "Savannah, box." She gets a high value treat ONLY when she gets in her crate, and EVERY time she gets in it...

Your baby is still adjusting to being away from mommy and litter mates.

You'll never forgive yourself if you give in the her demands and accidentally squish her, and there's no time like the present to establish who is in charge. If you don't, you'll end up like me!
    I am so terrified that I am going to squish her!

I'm so tired. I finally decided just after my original post to put her in her puppy mansion, crate door open with a wee pad and toys. I thought for SURE she'd give up on the whine/howl. That was at about 3:50pm. She was quiet from 4pm to 4:02pm. Milo and I finally gave up and got up (waiting until she had a moment of silence) and let her out. That was at 4:42pm. So right now it's Maisy 1, Milo and Momma 0.

Thanks

Default All the training advice you have? Yeah I want it.

Stop it right now. I gave in, too, and didn't sleep through the night for a year and a half. I gave up, and it bit me in the butt! Be smarter than me! Be stronger than I was!!

Have you tried the t shirt that smells like you/wind up alarm clock gig? Snuggle safe disc??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No kidding - I slept on the couch with Savannah for almost a year, because she kept my hubby and me awake In the bedroom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with what Lisa and Rae said. She's very young and is used to being with her pack. She misses them. She misses the warm bodies around her. It's going to take her a while to get used to being in the crate. Here's some good crate training info.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals..._training.html

I'm crate training Darby (4 or 5 years old) now which is much easier than crate training a puppy. Be patient. It's not going to happen by the weekend. It will take some time. (There's a reason I don't do puppies )
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

So not fair. She and Milo are currently sleeping butt to butt in his manly pink dog bed. If I move her into the bedroom, she won't go back to sleep. We'll get this. I know it. I crate trained Skyler (2002), I crate trained Jesse (2007) and I failed at crate training Milo LOL. Two out of three, I can do this!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M&M's Mom For This Useful Post:

Rae

Thanks

Do you have a cover over her crate? I'm a big, big, fan of full crate covers. My stoner, Mitch, has to be crated periodically due to neck issues. He is not crate trained but he is good about it because he feels like crap. He also likes to make a ruckus at bed time. When I cover his crate he knows it is nite -nite time for everyone and settles right down - kind of like covering a bird cage. I cover the whole thing so it is dark and secure. As soon as I get up in the morning I uncover it even if he isn't ready to be let out so he associates the covered crate as sleep time.

Thanks

The other question I forgot to ask, is what kind of crate are you using? Mine seem to prefer the wire ones to the travel ones. I totally agree with the covering at night. That helps.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI