Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I forgot about covering the crate. I used to do that with Miller. It worked like a charm. He went right to sleep without a problem.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Skyler and Jesse responded well to crate covering. Milo hates it. She didn't seem to care either way, no likey.

Right now she is in the airline crate, it's small enough. I can't block off enough of her wire crate because of the second door in it. She is SOOOO much smaller than I expected her to be. We're doing okay with her in bed with me. Like I said, I don't mind. I seem to wake up if she moves past my shoulder, then I just put her back.

I think the biggest thing is going to be changing her sleep pattern from nights to days, because of my work schedule.

Thanks

All good advice. Most of my puppies in the past cried for many, many, MANY nights. Like a couple weeks in some cases if I remember right. They eventally adapted just fine.

Angel and Cassie, despite being very vocal dogs , cried the least. They were littermates and had each other, so they seemed to handle it better.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tried again. She went on for well over an hour. But this time there were at least periods of quiet. Then she started trying to claw her way out of the pen. I put her in her crate, closed the door and covered it. Man, you'd have thought I was beating her, the ruckus she raised! Once again I waited for just that moment of quiet, and then just calmly took her out of her crate. She slept on my chest again.

She's waking roughly every 2 hours, but the sleep schedule seems to be coming together (we were in bed from 9am until about 1:40pm. Going back to bed soon, just letting her get her play out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M&M's Mom For This Useful Post:

Rae

Thanks

If she's putting up too much of a fuss, a squirt with the water bottle will often stop that. You could try it.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

You'll get her settled, I am sure. It IS rough if you haven't had a puppy in a while, or if (like me) this is your first doxie puppy. Wishing you and your pack a very Merry Christmas, and I hope there's some sleep in your stocking!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Lizzy is currently learning to like her crate. Fwiw, we first tried a plastic airline-style crate, and she just howled. In her 2nd week, we put her in the same crate as Buddy (with divider) and she was happy. Tranquil bliss. They each get a big treat for it, and I turn out the lights, and they go to sleep right away.

Thanks

I've never had a dog that didn't hate the plastic airline crates. I much prefer wire crates. You might try putting the two dogs crates side by side or putting her crate next to the bed. I found that helpful with some dogs.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue