Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Do you use coconut oil?

I've been giving the dogs OmegaPro-3 as an oil supplement for their coats, especially over the very dry winter. They will get flakey and itchy without it and with it don't have a problem. It was running low so I'm now trying coconut oil.

Anyone use coconut oil? Do you use it for other applications?

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

I do. Pogo can't use salmon oil any more. It seems to make his eye issues worse, so we switched to coconut. Zero issues since making the switch. The price is comparable, and I am happier with the coconut.

Just like any fat, you have to go slow and level up the dosage or liquid poops will happen

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I use it. If you have a bulk food store near by see if they carry it. I found a gallon jar of it for 13.99! I was shocked it was so in expensive. Maybe the clerk was dyslexic and it should have been 31.99 because that is usually about what a gallon of it costs here.

Thanks

We use Fish Oil from Lifetime Vitamins, cuz it's pure fish oil without any unwanted additives (eg, Rosemary, Tocopherols, vitamin E, etc.). It's difficult to find fish oils without those additives. Each furkid gets 1 softgel pill per day. This stuff:
    http://www.lifetimevitamins.com/esse...l-epa-dha.html

A month ago (gotcha day), Lizzy had awful flaky skin with itchy hotspots, as seen here ( http://1drv.ms/1y4BoH0 ) despite daily Salmon Oil given by the MD SPCA. We switched her to 100% raw diet, plus Fish Oil. This combo works really well for us. Now Lizzy has lovely non-flaky skin, not itchy, and her fur is growing back in already, as seen here ( http://1drv.ms/1sjcYKv ). Buddy's skin & fur is also great.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I use it. Has to be 100% virgin organic coconut oil....or so my vet says..thats what I use..I actually think it helps Theo with his seizures as he went 10 months without one. Great stuff!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasianni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
    I use it. Has to be 100% virgin organic coconut oil....or so my vet says..thats what I use..I actually think it helps Theo with his seizures as he went 10 months without one. Great stuff!
    Cool, Kasia. That's good to know. How much do you give him?
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I started with coconut oil when Po developed mange. Besides the dips and shots = it seemed to help calm his skin. Now everyone gets it - from everything I have read it is full of fabulous benefits.. My sister even takes it!!
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks

The info I saw for giving dogs coconut oil was a 1/4 tsp per 10 lbs of dog, twice a day.

Ch. Beau, our 14 yr old red guy
    Georgia Peach pie, 8 yrs old
    Jemma, red pie girl 1 year

~Penny~

Thanks

Theo weighs 14 pounds ish and I give him a small teaspoon daily. Not quite a full one, just a little under a teaspoon. Say 3/4 of a teaspoon. He loves it. I just read something on a site that recommended ½ teaspoon for every 10lbs of body weight once daily.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Thanks. It's good to know what has worked for others and how they've used it.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue